Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Junior Short-Tail Ryukin

Discussion in 'Goldfish Judging' started by NivleK-Indonesia, Sep 18, 2017.

1. NivleK-Indonesia

NivleK-Indonesia Member

Learning to take a good fish photo yesterday, might as well share the result here :)
    Feel free to share your judging perspective of this Junior Ryukin (+- 13 cm). This one is still young, probably 3-4 months old.
    His name is Flintstone. =)

[​IMG]

Surrealasm, J.H., KimA. and 1 other person like this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

wow for a three month old fish already showing breeding stars. Beautiful fish. Can you share your grooming skills with us

3. NivleK-Indonesia

NivleK-Indonesia Member

Thanks mate, appreciate it a lot. I'm lucky that i have lots of senior groomers here in Indonesia who taught me how to properly groom goldfish.

Share grooming tips?
    Uhm, it's a wide subject here. Maybe if you have more specific things, i can share my experience with more detail.
    But i have couple things that seems to be an important things to points out while grooming a fish.
    1. Genetics.
      There is no secret here. Bad genetics will make a bad fish no matter how good your grooming skills are.
    2. Water change
      I do 10-25% water change daily
    3. Oxygen level
      I'm not a fan of bottom aeration, they don't provide much aeration and makes the tail wider (good for top view GF, bad for side view GF). I use surface aeration with no bottom aeration.
    4. Proper sized aquarium / pond
      I believe in 1 goldfish need at least 100 Litre to maximize it's growth potential.

orangecrush, afnaveils and nolaveils like this.
  4. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

What is your typical diet for your ryukins?

5. Ranchutoo

Ranchutoo Active Member

Do you have the standards that the judges will use to determine how good a fish is? Would be great if you could share that. Would like to know what a perfect ryukin in Indonesia would look like.

6. NivleK-Indonesia

NivleK-Indonesia Member

I gave my goldfish pellets only with 8-12 interval per day (using food timer).

Contest Standards for Ryukin? Well, i can't give exact detail of the judging criteria since i never became a judge :p
    But in general (side view Ryukin):

1. Dorsal : Should be high with no fault / fracture
    2. Body : Should be as round as possible. My seniors told me ryukin should be like a coin shape. Hump and Belly should be in a symmetrical size & shape.
    3. Head : As small as possible, would like to see almost like the head is going to be swallowed by the body.
    4. Side fins, anal fins, & pelvic fins : Should be no fault, symmetrical with no rolling on the edges.
    5. Tail Bone : Should be in a perfect shape, the edge of the tail bone should be in a +- 180 degrees line with the eye.
    6. Tail : Upper tail should form +- 45 degrees angle, higher better. Tail should be in a perfect shape, symmetrical with no rolling on the edges.
    7. Color : All color should be bright with no color leak (due to excessive color pellets). But black fish should be full matte black.
    8. Health : Fish should be healthy with a good swimming style.

I'm sorry if i miss something, I'm not an expert by any means. Still relatively now to this hobby as well :)
    To give you more clear picture, we can study the photos.

I'm pretty lucky to got 1'st place in Junior Ryukin Category and Junior Champion in the recent competition with the fish above.
    Here's another example. My good friend (Mr. Agus) got 1'st place in Jumbo Ryukin Category and Jumbo Champion in the same competition with this majestic fish.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    calicomj likes this.
  7. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I love Ryukins, I really do... But I just have never been able to get into the "show grade" ones with the upturned faces and round thing above their heads. Just too strong of a shape for me. The odd "pitting" show grades often have on their foreheads is kinda weird too. Beautiful colors though.

8. nygold

nygold Well-Known Member

Amazing Ryukins we can't get quality fish like that here.
    If you did you can grab 1st place at every show in the U.S.

9. thanh

thanh Member

thank you for sharing, great post

10. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

What brand of pellet do you feed? I'm having trouble finding a reliable brand that doesn't cause boyancy but is very nutritious and healthy

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk