Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Just purchased some anubias barteri plants for my tank

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by Sbuggg13, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Hi everyone!
    I currently have my tank still set up in Christmas décor..And as much as I love it, I'm itching to make a change to it. So I went on amazon last night and ordered 5 anubias plants, 2-20lb bags of Instant aquarium Tahitian moon sand in black and a long handled algae scrubber. It's been hard keeping up on the algae growth in my tank and I am doing it all by hand with a dedicated sponge..however that worked when I had my 55gal..the 125gal is a little harder to reach into and scrub.
    Anyways, I ordered the plants off of Amazon, I'm a little nervous but the reviews have been really great for that specific company and some customers added pictures of when they received them and they are quite large and flush. I decided to add substrate because as much as I love the ease of a bare bottom tank..I feel like I am robbing the goldfish of things to do in between their feedings. I see them a lot of the time just still swimming, they seem bored so I think this will be a good way for them to get more out of their day and promote good quality of life. My question is.. I know you can hold down the plants into the substrate..But I was thinking of getting the a small pot or aquarium safe basket and placing them in that and them either pushing the pot under the substrate or keeping up on top (whichever I like more). Does anyone else have these plants and if so, what is the easiest way you have found to keep these in your tank. I hear they are a great plant for beginners (I've had sword plants before) but never had any luck with it. Plus the goldfish don't destroy them overnight. I am going to post the before and after pics and a video to my blog of the tank, I'm also introducing my new fish from Dandy Orandas and Water pigs to the main tank- so excited :)
    Thanks for the help,
    Sarah

2. SandyBottom

SandyBottom Well-Known Member

You do not want to plant the rhizome,only the actual roots. And I don't even do that, I super glue them to rocks or tie them to wood etc. You could sandwich them between two pieces of hardscape until the roots take hold. They seem to do better in hard water(they love calcium) with a bit of current or positioned near an out flow. They can do well in very low light to high light and c02. Great species with a large variety. From very large specimens to the very small. There are also varieties that are variegated like anubias var. Pinto, var. Stardust and var. Snow white. Have fun with your plants! After you mess around with these for a while, maybe check out bucephalandra. Very much the same easy care as anubias ,but are stunning plants that give a splash of color. If you source these make sure that they are NOT wild harvested. Best to put your feelers out via forum sales/trade sections. This is also a good cheap place to find cheap anubias etc.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  3. Hunter

Hunter Active Member

Got some plant glue or so it was called to me and attached mine to rocks mine are loving it