Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

King Koi selling sickly fish

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Sbuggg13, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Just wondering, not sure if this is the right place for this post...
    I have been keeping butterfly telescopes for a while and I have had many shipments sent to me through the mail and never had a problem. I usually go to Dandy Orandas bc they are good quality fish. I hate that they only do auctions though and recently Ken said he was not doing the auctions again until December, so I have been trying to find another quality place to get some new stock. I was looking for pandas and I came across King Koi. I w as hesitant about getting fish from an outside source but decided to give it a try. I had my qt tank set up and ready to go. The first shipment...yes, FIRST. Was really sad. They put all three fish in one bag that was almost deflated and when I opened it it literally smelled like death. I don't even know how to describe how bad the smell was. It just smelt like sick, nasty fish mixed with something decaying. I took them all out and transferred them after getting them temp acclimated. Immediately two of them were on their last leg, gasping for air and the third did not look good. The two died within the hour and the last one died later that evening. they were bleeding so I emailed the lady and told her..I think her name was Lauren. She was really great in offering to send me new fish or giving me a refund. I was hesitant to get more fish from them, but I chalked it up to something going wrong in the shipping process and ordered three more hand selected fish. I told her that the bag smelled awful and asked if she could individually bag the three new fish which she agreed to. So when I received my three new fish again, I opened and inspected them and they seemed alright. I floated their bags in the qt tank for a while until the temps were the same and when I opened their bags to put them in the tank it AGAIN smelled like death. Each one of them. while tranferring them to the qt tank I noticed they had an excessive slime coat and appeared to be frail. So flash forward to the next morning-two were dead and the third was at the bottom gasping. I immediately took the two dead ones out, did a 90% water change and treated the tank with Dr Tims (When I received the last batch I treated them with prazi pro and after they died I decided to hold off on treating the tank for a few days/week.). Anywho, after changing the water and adding aquarium salt/Dr Tim's the last fish perked up and was swimming around normal. I kept a close eye on him and the next morning I woke up and he was dead. Just to give you a background- I have had this qt tank set up, the water was at appropriate levels and the nitrogen cycle was complete. There was no reason that both batches died on my behalf because I've done everything right on my end. I have come to the conclusion that it is their fish, and that they do not tank any measures to treat their fish (even though it says so on their website). They must have went into shock from going from the nasty water they came in to my clean warm water. When I emailed Lauren back I told her the situation, that my tank was tested and up to par and that the water AGAIN smelled like death. I told her that I unfortunately would not be a returning customer. She never replied which makes me believe she knew they were bad quality.

So, with all that said. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with KK? I see alot of people on here suggesting them to people who are looking for new merchants and it's making me wonder if it was just me or if other people have had similar experiences. I've seen one other person say they had bad fish from there. Also, if anyone knows another source of good fish besides dandy orandas/waterpigs usa or costal gems i'd appreciate it!

2. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

I have heard mixed reviews myself. I have seen some good fish come from KK and do well, I have seen some people not have any luck with their fish. I too was considering buying from them for a second butterfly breeder. I plan to just stick to dandy orandas

3. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

I have five fish from them; three butterfly telescopes and two Ranchu. I've never had any issues with them.

4. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I've heard so many bad stories. Never bought from them myself and NEVER will.

5. calicomj

I and my friend got fish from Southwest Koi and Goldfish. Our fish are fine and dandy so far (we've only had them a month and a half) but I will warn that Jennie from Solid Gold Aquatics got two fish from there early this year which she believes caused the unknown issue that wiped out all her stock. There's no proof of this but just figured to warn.

6. Elizabeth V.

Elizabeth V. Member

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at king koi and goldfish I was hesitant to buy from them as well because of the bad reviews but ended up stopping by their shop to check it out I have bought five fish from them and so far there still doing good.

7. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

How did their store look?
    Yea I've been following Jennie closely for a while now and that was so sad to hear. I still believe Dandy has one of the best quality fish on the market today. Although it's not proven that it was from Dandy, freak things can happen. I guess you take that risk anytime you get new fish from an outside source. One thing I know for sure is even if the fish I got from KK survived, I probably would have never put them in my tank with my other goldfish.

8. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

How does their shop look? I'm in NY so there's no way of ever going in to see them. But I was curious about the set up they have over there.

9. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

I guess you were lucky with them. I'm glad it worked out for you, I just can't see anything good coming from there. Did you mix the KK fish with any stock you currently had?

10. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

Yes, after quarantine, of course. Still, no issues.

11. bkrhodesva

bkrhodesva Professional Breeder

I know someone who bought more than 10 bubble eyes from them and they all died

12. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Same here, I ended up buying 6 panda butterflies and the same thing happened. I wanted to see if there was anyone else out there that had the same issue because I know it couldn't of been just myself. Good to know. Thank you.

13. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Did they get compensated for them? How was the customer service?

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

They quarantine for 2 weeks prior to placing their fish up for sale. It is our responsibility to quarantine all fish we receive for a minimum of 30 days (60 days would be better) These are imported fish and with imported fish come a lot of pathogens

Cheyenne B. likes this.
  15. bkrhodesva

bkrhodesva Professional Breeder

told him meds to try and basically said OH WELL sorry to hear that

16. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

I follow strict and overly extensive quarantine processes. I could understand if I had no prior knowledge to the quarantine process and did not apply the proper procedures to newly purchased fish. However it is also the seller's responsibility (imported or not) to uphold a higher standard(s) when selling fish to hobbyists. There is no reason to repeatedly sell sick/unhealthy fish to customers. If a freak thing were to happen that's understandable, but to have many people have the same instances happen over and over again, that's bad business practices. I agree with you that it is our responsibility to adhere to good qt procedures. When the person running the business does not return your second email that the fish are not up to quality standards, that gives me a red flag that they are aware of what they are producing and selling to people.

17. Shelli

Shelli New Member

I just watched a video of hers where she said she will be restocking from Dandy Oranda's. Did she think the problem that killed all of her fish was from them or Southwest Koi and Goldfish?

18. Shelli

Shelli New Member

I guess you take that risk anytime you get new fish from an outside source.

Yes, they're a living animal, illness happens. Incubation is just a time period of keeping them separate from the others, possibly treat them for worms, fungus, observe them for signs of illness, etc. and if you see any sign of any potential problem don't expose them to your others all at once. Maybe pick one to take it for the team so to speak. If that one survives ok then you can gradually mix them, but incubation by itself doesn't actually cure anything, it may allow them time to get over something like we might with a cold so as not to be contagious.

BTW, my own daughter was adopted from another country and when we got home it took her a while to get over a stubborn runny nose that had turned into a sinus infection. The pediatrician took nasal swabs to know what she would be fighting so she'd know what type of antibiotic to give her. It turned out to be double sinusitis with a rare bacteria the Dr. and lab hadn't seen in the U.S. So she put her on a certain type of antibiotic and it cleared up fairly quickly after that so yes, illnesses happen, and with as many fish as some of these guys are importing I'm surprised we're not seeing more problems.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 1:11 AM
  19. calicomj

She said she was "pretty sure" the imports she got from Southwest Koi and Goldfish caused the issue. There's zero way to be sure. Those were just her suspicions.

20. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Is it King Koi or SouthWest whose got the sick fish? Both names have been tossed back and forth.

Jim.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 4:47 AM