Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Leave Goldfish in or Take them out?

Discussion in 'Water Maintainence' started by MKintoun, Jul 23, 2015.

1. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

For the past few years that I've owned goldfish, I've taken out my fish when I've done water changes. After watching Sakura/Solid Gold's water change vid, I've stopped taking them out. I've been doing this for the past couple months now and it's much more convenient for me. As long as I match the water temp from the faucet with the water in the tank, the fish still are fine.

Anyone here have specific reasons why they take their fish out during water changes or vice versa? Id be interested in reading your comments!

SimplyDez likes this.
  2. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Only if I'm doing 100% Wc I'll take them out. If not I'll leave them in :)

3. Pacs

Pacs Active Member

I take mine out. I do it because it appears to be less stressful (from water current and siphoning) for them, from my observation.

4. alorindanya12

alorindanya12 Active Member

Any further thoughts on this? I am getting ready to do my very first water change ever.

5. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

If your siphon is large enough for your fish to get sucked into it and not have a cover over it like a net, it may be better to take out your fish from the tank.

I've been leaving my fish in the tank while doing water changes and they show no signs of stress, but I'm only comfortable with it because I know they won't get sucked into the siphon.

6. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

I take mine out because I have only one goldfish and is easier to deal with lol

Plus the fact that I lack of patient to wait for my tank slowly fill up and always turn the water to full blast :-V

I wait 15 min for water condition to take effect, and scoop my goldfish up with a bowl and put him back.

I somehow can feel that he prefer it this way too. (I use to leave him in and go slow with the refilling)

7. CC11

CC11 Active Member

I use a mains water hose to fill up so they need to be out.

8. mjfromga

mjfromga Well-Known Member

I leave my guys in now and they do okay. The pleco is neigh impossible to catch in a net and the Goldies don't seem to mind. Because I use a gravel vacuum to remove all the water, it aims at the gravel the entire time, making sucking the fish up pretty hard.