Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Lighting for a tank - LED help

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by mjfromga, Jan 18, 2016.

1. mjfromga

mjfromga Well-Known Member

So as all the bills rise with the 30 gallon, I thought about switching to LED lights instead of basic fluorescent. Everything is hideously expensive! I saw this, but looking at the size specs, it looks too small for my tank.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23550

Anybody got any suggestions that I don't have to loan them an arm and a leg for?

2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

I have ReefBreeders w/90 degree optics that I love (deep tank). Great color Spectrum. If you are doing it on a 30 gal I would recommend 120 degree optics. They are also adjustable so you don't burn your plants or blind your fish. Price is reasonable as well for led's.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/reef-breeders-value-led-fixtures/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The light will clip onto the back of your tank. Some LED's put out very bright light. I have them on my tank and love the shimmer effect they provide. Not always the best for when growing live plants. So think about what your goals are with the light. They do last longer and burn cooler than conventional lighting. The light you are looking at got good reviews for the most part

4. mjfromga

Well, they said fluorescent aren't great for plants, either. Who knows? Thanks. I'll have a look about. Thanks ThatGuy, but there's NO WAY I'm paying like $200 for an aquarium light.

5. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

If you ever get into reef keeping that is actually very reasonable. LOL.

6. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

All lights can grow plants but the key is the wavelength or color temperature. You want at least daylight (5000K) or better 6500 K (grow lights). You can get those in either fluorescent or LED.

Depending on how good the light has to look, you could spend just $10 and it will grow plants. Just get a clamp light (the aluminum reflector type) for about $6.50 at wally-world and then pick up a daylight or grow bulb. CFL is a bit cheaper ($5.88 for four bulbs and they will last a while) but you can get a LED daylight for about $5 from the same store.

These reflect more light into the tank.
    [​IMG]

Daylight Bulbs: (edit for wally-world; change "wally-world" ro "w a l - m a r t")
    CFL
    http://www.wally-world.com/ip/Great-Value-GVS144DL-Great-Value-14W-Daylight-CFL-4pk/21778165

LED
    http://www.wally-world.com/ip/Great...ctional-Daylight-Dimmable-Light-Bulb/38591215

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    mjfromga likes this.
  7. mjfromga

Well then you can be sure I will never get into reef keeping! I can barely afford THIS hobby. I still don't have the filter I need, and as you can see... I need a new light and a few other things.

8. mjfromga

This fixture looks like the type that is in my hood. I'm going to take the bulb in my hood around to stores and see if I can find a suitable LED replacement.

http://www.zoro.com/ge-lighting-led...2YLkIxHQziXDTlcJFcZyURoC3cvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This particular one is probably the kind that goes over sinks or whatnot in kitchens, but from looking around, I should be able to find a fixture that matches the one I have but isn't an energy sapping, water yellowing, florescent.

9. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

That one won't work because it requires a "Separate Driver."

What kind of hood do you have now? I am guessing you have a 24" florescent hood.

You need something like this (not necessarily from that merchant but the type of bulb):

Depending on the type of florescent lamp you have, this is a direct plug-in)
    https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/5000k-led-t8-tubes-ballast-compatible-2-foot/

This is better but require a bit of rewiring. (I can walk you through if you chose this way. There are Utube video as well). This is the better option.
    https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/5000k-led-t8-tubes-direct-wire-2-foot/

mjfromga likes this.
  10. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

I remember a Solid Gold video where she used Ikea's under-cabinet LEDs attached to a hood for lights... You could probably make something similar using waterproof LEDs and your hood. Just a thought? :)

mjfromga likes this.
  11. mjfromga

IMG_20160118_193002.jpg I went and checked. It is a 24" light fixture. I run it 10-12 hours a day and its made an annoying and noticeable increase in the light bill. Also, I like the look of the LED lights in my smaller tank WAY BETTER and I want the same look for my larger tank.

I will be starting to try and grow live plants, so Lou I'd be VERY HAPPY if you will help me pick the best option for my tiny crappy budget. Caligold, that's very pretty, however the dimness doesn't suit my tank or the live plants I'm going to try to grow. The color change is very pretty though!

As for the rewiring, I absolutely have no idea how to do it, but with instruction, I'm sure my brother or dad could figure it out. Thanks a ton everyone for the help and suggestions.

12. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

OK. (BTW, I lived in Atlanta between 1985 and 1989. Went to school there, then spent another year in Rome for my first job before coming to this frigid place).

The easiest way is for you to buy a 24" daylight or grow florescent bulb. They will use about 17 watts of electricity (LED uses about 10 - 11 watts). You just replace your current bulb. It is good for plants and will run you about $7. Lights of America also sells a complete 24" grow bulb with everything for about $10.

If you want to go with LED, then this one from Amazon is the most economical. It is a 6000k LED so very good for plants. It is direct wire so you only need the two tombstones (the ends that hold the bulb and your fixture already has them). Basically, the rewiring will have the input wire (two of them) going to opposite ends of the bulb. Very simply. However, I suggest you talk to your Dad or brother first to see if they are comfortable. Here is the bulb and rewiring instruction. You may also read the reviews to see what others have said about the bulb and the rewiring process.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SOJHSS6/?tag=amzffny-20

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81yn6pBgroL._SL1331_.jpg

TwistedNerve likes this.
  13. mjfromga

Yeah. I decided against the modifications already. My brother said he doesn't know how and my dad is a stroke victim and even though he knows how, I don't wish to bother him with it. I've never once in my life attempted a light fixture modification and I'm certainly going to have a hard time.

The lady who sold me the tank actually gave me an additional hood and light, which she BROKE by trying to make a modification! I thought she was just toying with it, but now I see what she was talking about. The extra hood is nice to have just in case, but still. IMG_20160118_200452.jpg

Think I'll go with the simple one for now. Better than what I currently have, which is the goal.

Mmm... Just noticed something. The BULB itself is 18" so a 24" bulb won't fit, right?

14. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Right, it won't fit.

15. mjfromga

Soooo... Not a single bulb in this thread will actually fit. GREAT!

Starting the search all over again....

16. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Well, now you need a 18" bulb. :)

The principle is still the same but I do not know if there are 18" LED replacement. Would have to search.

17. mjfromga

Yup. As I said, starting the search all over again. No big deal. Actually going to get started now!

18. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

18" LED bulbs seem to be expensive, from my brief search. It is cheaper to buy a complete unit.

19. mjfromga

I searched and couldn't find anything at all. I'm thinking of just saying forget it and keeping my current setup. Seriously.

20. Goldie^HawnSolo

Goldie^HawnSolo Member

[​IMG]
    1. Got this kit from Lowes for around $40
    2. Bought vinyl guttering with 2 end caps $8
    3. Bought 1in pvc pipe the length I wanted and two connectors $5
    4. Used loctite glue and put the connectors on the inside of the end caps 5. Cut the guttering to length of pvc pipe then wrapped led strips around pipe and after glue dried and smell was gone put the light bar in the casing.
    I have two very determined cats so to keep them out of the tank I have the lighting diffuser cut to fit and the finished light rests on it.
    It works for me and the fish are happy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fishheadz and Lou like this.