Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Lighting for a tank - LED help

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by mjfromga, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Goldie^HawnSolo

Goldie^HawnSolo Member

Optimally you want waterproof leds which I plan on getting when I do a tank upgrade down the road. Amazon and ebay have great deals on the waterproof leds, I was just impatient; )

2. CC11

CC11 Active Member

I bought some ebay lights I think AUD $90 for 99cm long. Plants grow well not sure how long they will last certainly don't get as hot as the fluorescent (old) light that came with the tank. They are aquarium lights.

3. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Yes, you can buy cheap L.E.D's, yes, you can make a L.E.D light. However, what is the total lumens going to be? what is the total number of L.E.D's? what is the PAR going to be (@18"?, @ 21"?, @24"?), what is the color spectrum, 6500k? what is the Wattage?

Goldie^HawnSolo likes this.
  4. Goldie^HawnSolo

Goldie^HawnSolo Member

@ Fishheadz thanks for good questions to ask when I did not know to ask. I went to look it all up. For my particular case, it's a 20 gal long tank unplanted. 24W, 12VDC, beam angle 120, CCT 13000K, & 40 lumens per strip (I used both so 80 lumens). By the time I figured out what PAR stood for my eyes glazed over and was unable to find information on how much lighting goldfish required other than the standard 12 hours on 12 off. These are RGB lights with manual dimmer.

5. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

13,000k may be too dark, and is nearing complete Ultraviolet. Usually fish require about the same as plants, somewhere in the 5,000-6,500k (full sun) range.
    [​IMG]

6. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

I like the Finnex LED lights on got on Amazon. Mine are tiny 10 inch ones for my 2.5 gallon tanks but they come in all sizes and for different things. I think my Mother in law got a Marineland LED top for her tank, and it kept having problems.

Does anyone know if 8000K lights will be okay for growing plants? I would think 13000K would look very bluish.

Finnex lights for planted tanks: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GH9HURE/?tag=amzffny-20

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  7. Goldie^HawnSolo

Goldie^HawnSolo Member

[​IMG]
    This is a photo of the tank with the rgb light set to white and intensity set at max. I was thinking it might be too bright for them.

Fishheadz likes this.
  8. Goldie^HawnSolo

Goldie^HawnSolo Member

Update: the DIY light died. Got fluval eco light 7500k led light. very happy with it so far, it's definitely brighter!

Fishheadz likes this.
  9. Goldie^HawnSolo

Goldie^HawnSolo Member