Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Lionhead or Ranchu

Discussion in 'Goldfish Breeds' started by Scifisarah, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

So they told me this fish is a Black Lionhead. I asked, "Hey why are its eyes so small compared to the other lionheads?" and they didn't seem to think much of it. I have him on hold to purchase until his quarantine is done in 7-10 days. I like him whatever it is, but am I really looking at a black lionhead, or is he a black ranchu, as I suspect? Sorry for the bad photos - was hard to get good ones with my phone, low light, algae and water spots on the tank. The eyes on this fish were sooooo tiny compared to the other lionheads.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lukass likes this.
  2. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

I once reach somewhere about an American lionhead which appeared to have characteristics of both breeds. Could also be a pinch, which is probably the same as the American lionhead. My lionhead looks very similar.

Lukass likes this.
  3. Scifisarah

I'd be interested to know about the genetics that determines the eye size in goldfish. If I do end up getting it, I will take some better photos at home. In comparison to each other, the other lionhead eyes were like a quarter to the black one's being a pencil eraser.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

that fish is a black thai ranchu.

5. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Woah, mine looks like that too, but is shorter with a yellow belly. those lion heads must have been deme ranchu or lion heads with telescopic eyes.

6. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

Joe is 100% correct, its a Thai black ranchu. They often have small eyes and sometimes display a skin growth around the eye which can make it appear even smaller. Your fish has a relatively straight back which is why it was sold to your local pet store. It's a nice specimen none the less, good luck with it!

7. Scifisarah

The other ones also had less curved bodies that were straight in spots and had pointy angles when they did curve, I did not like the look of them. The black one was a nice smooth curve. They didn't have telescope eyes, just normal goldfish eyes. The black one's were just super small and sort of inset looking. Even its behavior seemed different.

8. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of Thai black ranchu, they're often stunted and seldom grow large