Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Lionhead struggles to swim.

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by ThatGuy, Jan 17, 2016.

1. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

I recently got a calico Lionhead and it looks like it struggles to swim in more less floats but it does chase food when food is available. It doesn't look like it's air bladder problem more like overly deformed would be my thought on it. Also it's in the basket because I kept finding it stuck to the filter intake.

[​IMG]

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

your fish has ick. Raise the water temp to 80 and treat with ich medication. Slow you filter down to reduce current or place fish in quarantine tank

3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

I know about the ich and have already started treating that.

Are lionheads known to be challenged swimmers so I should keep the flow low?

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

lionheads do well in tanks without strong current and other goldfish that out compete them for food. In general they are very hardy. Yours looks young

5. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

So I should keep him separate until I start another tank for just him so I can directly feed him.

6. Goldfish crazy

Goldfish crazy Member

Who is in the tank with him? Lion heads and ranchu do swim funny in general as they have small fins and oval bodies till fully grown then just slow. They're not like fancies or moors who will dig for left over food they need sinking pellets or even better gel food. Try some de shelled peas for 3 days and do a water change that should help

7. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

He doesn't float so much now, but I still haven't seen him eat. Right now until my 40 is cycled he is with a celestial eye, moore(might be telescope), and a oranda (aggressive eater). There is a very shallow rock bed that doesn't cover the whole bottom and some fake plants and bamboo sticks. What I have been feeding is goldfish flake(3 times a day) and algae disks( 1 a day). I also feed mysis shrimp 1-2 times a week.

If I were to add pellets what would a good recommendation be that wont cloud up the water so much?

8. Goldfish crazy

Goldfish crazy Member

Algae wafers for goldfish? never heard of that plecos yes but not for goldfish esp lion heads or ranchu. I feed my ranchu hakari pelletts it's made for them. Amazon has the best price as it comes from Japan. (Pelletts sink so they don't gasp air from eating flakes at top of water causing issues) another good food to make gel food is replashy green (again Amazon) or you can make your own using baby food and Knox gelatin. If he were mine I would give him de shelled peas for 3 days and change the water. Water changes do so much good you'd be surprised. Also make sure you have a good filter as goldfish are super messy they need 2x the regular filtration that a regular tank. Good luck

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Are you sure he is not being harassed by your other fish. If he is sick he should be isolated. Do not feed flakes. Repashy gel good and a good sinking pellet. From the picture I saw he appeared to have ich. Make sure your other fish are not affected

10. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

He is in the basket to be separated from the other fish. I am treating the tank as a whole as they were all together. Is there something wrong with flake? Is it to messy.