Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Liquid fertilizer? Almost wiped out my fish

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by Justintime, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

so I have been using API liquid co2 and flourish by sea chem and my plants are looking a lot better then they did so I have a bottle of leaf zone by API it’s iron and potassium two of the things I didn’t see on the flourish bottle dosed how it said on the bottle a few hours after I added liquid co2 and my fish all got real still and their breathing was labored oh and I have the reddish brown Flourite as substrate did I over dose them on iron ? I changed 20 gallons out in a water change it’s a 55 gallon tank, the fish are coming around and ate grazing now but still alittle off my black moor is acting the worst has anyone used these fertilizers before

2. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Those chemicals aren't recommended. I've heard of issues before. When I had a planted tank, I tried them. They got expensive FAST and they weren't very effective.

3. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Well I’ve noticed a difference with the flourish so I got courious about the iron and potassium but not that courious just did another water change I hope I don’t wake up to my fish dead they’re acting a lot better but the moor is still not himself

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Those products are highly recommended for plant tanks. However if you use too much co2, that can be very toxic to fish. I no longer use their co2 liquid product as I found a very cheap alternative on amazon that you can make using two old liter bottles, a diffuser, baking soda and citric acid. I still use the flourish advance liq

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I still use another one of their products called Flourish Advance. It contains both macro and micro elements for plants. As far the iron and potassium, I would only use these products on a monthly basis. Sorry but it appears that you over dosed your tank with too much co2

6. Surrealasm

Surrealasm New Member

I've been using flourish, as well, and felt like it was really helping out my plants... but the last couple times I have done a water change I've been hesitant to add it in for some reason... Glad to know y'alls experience with this.

Fun fact: Flourish is chiral (Chemistry term for a mirror image of molecule) of an anesthetic.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

that is when you are supposed to administer the liquid co2, when doing water changes. You can also add throughout the week but at much lower dosages

8. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Bottle says to add every day , but now that I have only been using the flourish and co2 booster I haven’t had a problem, but some of my plants aren’t looking so hot think I need to add potassium, just small amount and I know that my tank isn’t getting enough co2 but I’m not willing too add more boosters so I’m gonna spring for a co2 system

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

may be it is your light system not strong enough. What types of plants are you trying to grow

10. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Ok I have a pretty heavily planted tank and only three plants are looking tore up The leaves on my Amazon swords are kinda yellow see thru and two plants idk the names of are yellowing but my Java Moss n ferns , Anubis, are doing great the Brazilian water weed, and wisteria are going crazy I have a planted + by finnex

11. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

I have been playing with the idea of another light