Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Low GH and KH: HEELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Advance Water Quality' started by Majara, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Majara

Majara Member

Hi,
    I just tested my GH and KH, and realized my tank has low levels of both. what can I do to increase these levels
    KH: 53.7 ppm
    GH: 89.5 ppm

2. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

3. Silverphish

Silverphish Active Member

I'm having the same problem. My kH is always 53.7 and my gH is 107.3, but my pH is 7.6 to 7.8 so anything that I add to raise kH will also raise my pH to like 8.4. I have crushed shell in my filter box now, and that brought my kH up to its present value from 35. I have been told to use baking soda or epsom salt to raise them, but the baking soda will raise and keep the pH at about 8.3. Maybe someone will come up with a solution that we can both use.

4. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

There is nothing wrong with PH 8.3 for goldfish. The important thing is that PH is stable. Test your PH over a variety of times and conditions- morning, evening, before a water change, after a water change, from the tap, after ageing, etc. If it is relatively constant, then leave it alone! Your buffering is sufficient. If it is not, then consider adding baking soda with each water change to bring KH in the range of 80-100ppm. this will keep your PH rock steady at 8.3.
    Epsom salt does not raise KG. It raises GH.

5. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

High pH increases ammonia toxicity so there are times were its less than ideal.

6. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

True, David. If your filtration is good it's not a worry - your ammonia should always be at zero. If you are relying on water changes only then you are more likely to have ammonia levels fluctuating.

7. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Was putting that out there because many newbies don't have a properly cycled filter.

*Ci* likes this.