Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Low maintenance 75gal 100% hard piped

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Keith, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Keith

Keith Member

My low maintenance 75gal setup. 50% water changes every 6 months and closed top to prevent evaporation. Auto temp control with a 1/3hp chiller and 500w heater. 20w UV sterilizer. 4 fans built into the door in front of the chiller that come on with the chiller and allow me to cram it into the cabinet without overheating issues. Built in shelves for all the chems. Hose bib, hose rack and hose with quick disconnect and valve for quick water changes and no need to ever prime the system. Foil backed foam insulation under tank to prevent heat transfer between tank and cabinet. LED under cabinet lighting. All wood seamless with caulk and enamel. Brushed nickel hardware including an external towel rack for your wet hands. Trays on the doors for reagents and a pocket for paperwork. Auto controller for split photoperiod LED lighting. Only thing left is pumps to auto dose fertilizer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

Despite most beautifully organized equipment I have ever seen and very impressive landscaping!!! I have a couple of critical comments.

50% WC every 6 month is NOT NEARLY enough. There is no such thing as LOW to NO maintenance aquarium especially if goldfish involved. How are you going to be dealing with nitrates?

Also heater and chiller are overkill. Goldfish simply don't need it. Natural water fluctuations, even inside (day/night/seasonal) are beneficial for these fish.

But for now the best way to learn is to keep your setup, observe and correct it. You might come to making changes or conclusions on your own.

Again, visually beautifully put together tank. Keep testing its function!

3. Brandonc41

Brandonc41 Member

Very nice setup and beautiful fish. What would make it even sweeter is to give those fishes some weekly fresh water. They would love it and so would the plants. Have a good one.

4. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

I would hit on a few points.
    You should seriously consider doing 50%+ Weekly water changes, not wait 5 or 6 months, Regardless of your waters parameters, it should be refreshed often as to replenish the Oxygen (and mineral) levels contained within the water.

You should strongly consider removing the top, as so that the gaseous exchange process is not hindered in any way. You could very well be getting Hydrogen build up along the surface of the water, which will hinder the gaseous exchange process even further.

There's really no need for a heater, (unless you are treating for a specific condition) The chiller is perhaps a bit overkill too, they should do quite well at room temp. They can tolerate temperature fluctuations rather well. A nearly instant 20 degree drop in temp(80°F - 60°F) will not kill them, though they will be stunned and sluggish until water temp slowly rises*. They can't take nearly as drastic of an increase. however, they can accommodate to a 20 degree rise,(60°F-80°F) so long as it is not rapid.

(*I would not recommend such drastically rapid temperature changes)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  5. LadysSolo

LadysSolo Breeder/keeper

The plants will handle some (if not all) of the nitrates, but there are other micronutrients in the water that the fish and plants will use up in less than 6 months. I know we say it's to handle the wastes (and mostly it is,) but it has the added benefit of supplying other nutrients present in tap water that you don't always think of (ex iron, etc.)

6. GreenTea

GreenTea Well-Known Member

Everythings bigger in Texas I guess! Looks like a lot of $$ invested.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  7. LyinHead

LyinHead Active Member

With water changes so far apart, maybe looking into koi clay to replenish some minerals and such. Beautiful tank.