Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Lucky Bamboo?

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by Scifisarah, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

There is some lucky bamboo looking stuff for sale at our Petco in the fish area. Is that safe to use with goldfish, or should it be avoided?

2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

I am new to a goldfish only tank but I have had bamboo in every freshwater tank I have ever had with no ill effect. I have a 5 gal tank with some corys and a molly that has had bamboo in it for almost 2 years at this point.

3. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Should it be planted with the leaves up above the water though, since bamboo is not an aquatic plant? I would imagine that the leaves underwater would not fair too well. But I agree that you can definitely grow bamboo with water and no substrate necessary.

Lou likes this.
  4. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

I tried it once. If fully submerged, it will eventually not do well but it is a tough plant and could take a year or even two. With the leaves above water, they do great. It is not really an aquatic plant but tough.

5. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

I use clear plastic shower caddies that suction to the inside of my tanks and put the plants in those. For things like bamboo I'd just use smooth stones larger than the holes in the caddy to place them. Hanging plants I just leave lose roots in the baskets with no substrate at all. Those baskets are great though for keeping the fish from wrecking the plants and get the parts of the plants that should be out of the water up out of it.

Goldie^HawnSolo likes this.
  6. Goldie^HawnSolo

Goldie^HawnSolo Member

That's brilliant :)