Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Lucky Finds Section

Discussion in 'Comments, Complaints or Suggestions' started by dmcdonald9, Jan 29, 2015.

1. dmcdonald9

dmcdonald9 Active Member

I think this forum should have a Lucky Finds section and in the section if you have a really cool looking goldfish or a rare goldfish you can post in the section what store you got it at and where the store is that you got it at.

2. rcarltonj

rcarltonj Rich J.

I actually have better results cherry picking Wal Mart fish than I do at Pet Smart or Petco. Granted, they are nothing more than pet quality, but you can get "good ones" (relative) with fully divided tails, double anal fins, and no deformities for 2 to 5 bucks.

3. dmcdonald9

dmcdonald9 Active Member

Oh wow that's awesome. I've never checked it out because the wal mart that has goldfish is a little out of my way but my friend has gone their and told me its not that great. All stores are different though.

4. TVRfan

TVRfan Professional Breeder

I think you should start a thread. You can go first if you have a lucky find.
    If enough people post maybe you can suggest a sticky, and if it were to build and really take off, maybe, just maybe it could get its own section. Maybe it could include equipment as well. Ichthius manages to find perfect ranchu ponds worth hundreds of dollars for pennies on C.L.

5. dmcdonald9

dmcdonald9 Active Member

Ok well I don't really have any amazing lucky finds right now so someone else go first and we can have it right in this thread

6. Kaii

Kaii Active Member

I think this oranda I found is a pretty lucky find. I posted him in the pictures section and his wen has grown quite a bit since I got him. He's very personable too which made him all the better for me.

Attached Files:

7. Kaii

Kaii Active Member

Whoops that last picture is upside down for some reason.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Attached Files:

8. dmcdonald9

dmcdonald9 Active Member

That fish is awesome! Where did you get him or find him at?

9. Kaii

Kaii Active Member

This fish I found at petsmart by chance as he was in another tank far away from the goldies (guppy tank) being used to eat the snails.

10. RanchuLover

RanchuLover OBSESSED with carp

we could turn this thread into the lucky finds thread :exact:

11. Chi

Chi Active Member

While I know my LFS has decent quality locally-bred fish, I am not quite sure I expected such a beautiful girl. :)
    She was listed as a fantail but I knew she was a ryukin upon purchase.... It's pretty obvious.
    [​IMG]
    Homemade gel food and higher quality pellets later lead to this.
    (I've since ditched the HOBs for a canister)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Couple of days ago during a 100% water change<3
    [​IMG]
    She's no show specimen, but she's a lot to get for a $6 fantail. :Suprise2:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  12. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Great job raising her! Very pretty and decent hump :)

13. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

Well done! Don't you just love those "diamonds in the rough"?

14. Chi

Chi Active Member

Thank you so much, I'm very proud of how far she's come in a year. :)
    That explains it very well when it comes to goldies. You may think you have a quarts stone, but it's a rough diamond that has the potential to be whatever you want to polish and shape it into. :think:

15. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Saw this today at my local pet store. They are in rough shape but I was surprised how massive they were given this is just a small store.

Goldfish in local pet store: http://youtu.be/UU9kUjhj3Fc

Also.
    Yes. I bought the oranda. I couldn't bare letting it sit in this shop probably never going to be bought cos it was so expensive. Ergh. Damn fish....
    Currently in QT treating for fluke and internal

16. Kaii

Kaii Active Member

Yay! I'm glad you picked up the oranda. I love the color and his cheeks.

17. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

I was going to say "you BETTER have bought that oranda"! Good for you! Lovely fish! The fish look like they have potential if given proper care. If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for the oranda? I'm curious what fish like that go for in other parts of the world.

18. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

They priced it at $150
    And I asked her for a discount since it was like..u know spur of the moment

I paid $130 in the end (i have some what buyers remorse atm.. only because it isn't in best of shape health wise)

I think this oranda has been fed floating flakes and pellets it's whole life. I dropped some sinking ones and he had no idea... lol

19. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

I know what you mean...I'm sure that with your good care you can turn him around! I've purchased fish from breeders who feed five or six times a day, mostly frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms...they have NO CLUE how to pick food up off the bottom of the tank...they just swim through the water opening and closing their mouths hoping something will magically float in. It literally takes a couple of weeks sometimes for them to finally get it...bless...

20. Kaii

Kaii Active Member

Good on you for asking for a discount! You usually should at places like that. Especially if you notice something off, the average person wouldnt pay that much for a goldfish, so I bet they were happy to turn over stock. The oranda I got from petsmart had no clue about pellets, he would just gulp at the top when I walk by. Still does but hopefully he figures it out. It's crazy what bloodworms can do to a fish