Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Micro Worms?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by GoldenMcNewbie, Jan 7, 2016.

1. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

I plan to start a micro worm culture for my fry next week. I don't hAve the time to hatch and collect brine shrimp, especially when the tend to die after 3 days. Will micro worms work as a staple for them? I will still feed them bbs but only in the weekends.

2. Amy S

Amy S Professional Breeder

I do not believe they will work as a staple. your best bet is to go the tried and true route of bbs and supplementing with the microworms. Add decap and finely crushed flake at 2 weeks but continue the bbs for 6 weeks or so.

3. GoldenMcNewbie

Would freezing the bbs after hatching preserve nutritional values? I think I can do that.

4. Amy S

Amy S Professional Breeder

Absolutely. The real advantage of live is the attraction to movement and. Lack of fouling the water. Frozen will foul the water. I salt the fry tanks with 1/3 cup per 20 gallons and the bbs live for hours

5. bkrhodesva

bkrhodesva Professional Breeder

I tried microworms when I began breeding for the same reasons as you. But there was really no comparison when I switched to baby brine shrimp. Fry grow so much faster and water is way cleaner. Make the sacrifice.

Amy S likes this.
  6. GoldenMcNewbie

Dang it, the worms came in today. Should I just toss em out or should I just use them as a treat?

7. GoldenMcNewbie

I know the bbs live for hours in the tanks, but the problem is, the ones in the hatchery degrade in nutritional value and die after a day or two. I end up not using half of what I hatched. I heard about refigeration.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  8. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Why not just hatch fewer at a time and feed them as soon as they've all hatched? You could set up a staggered system of two hatcheries, starting the hatch of the second batch halfway through the hatch of the first. That way you still have fresh bbs each time meal time comes around for the fry. Jenny from Solid Gold has a great tutorial video for doing this:

Hopefully this gives you some ideas! And I'd keep the micro worms as a treat (if the fry don't like it, you can always give them to the adults, right?).