Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Missing fish, think it's the birds..

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by Faebinder, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Today I drained my pond to clean it up for winter and because I was curious where my fish were hiding and sure enough the 3 are officially missing.

I already got a fake heron. Any other advise? I was think I should get the fake gator.

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Cover the pond.

3. Faebinder

I was avoiding that cause of the plants and access but one of the websites that sell them suggested to cut certain sections for access.

4. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

Herons are a possibility, but raccoons are also a real threat. There are raccoons everywhere, and they can climb over fences and onto balconies. I understand your point about the plants, and I also leave some ponds uncovered, but I only stock with fish that I can "afford to lose". I raise many fish every year, so I can replace them with each year's new fry. You might want to try putting an overturned "milk crate" in the pond, with a potted plant on top. You may have to enlarge some of the holes in the crate, but the fish will learn to take cover under the crate when predators are around.

5. Faebinder

Great idea. I did pick up a bunch of bricks from Home Depot and made a cave for them. They appear skeptical at best.

6. Faebinder

Bought a beautiful 8" comet off dandy oranda and it arrived yesterday. Today's came and found it with no body, just head and tail on the ground.

The gator head was there and it was raining and gloomy all day today. I'm sure it's not the bird and it's a cat from next door.

I'm pretty upset. Any advise?

Someone give me a link to where I can get some serious netting. I can't make the pond deeper till spring.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  7. shakaho

That's raccoon work. Cats always get blamed, but very few cats fish.

8. Faebinder

Any advise other than netting? (I ordered it). Oddly enough this predator is not eating ranchus or ryukins. It just goes after the big fish (comet, koi etc) although it did take a red cap oranda whose head was not large.

9. Faebinder

Got the netting... pond looks ugly TBH. I can hardly see the fish. Should have gotten them when the leaves were falling.. It would have made life simpler for me. Live and learn.

Anyway.... I was looking into this: http://www.fishock.com/store/electric-fence-accessories/bss-750rpx

An electric fence around the pond instead of netting it. Any thoughts?

10. shakaho

I considered recommending it, since it does appear to keep raccoons away. In the short term, use both. Once they have tasted your fish, predators become very persistent.

11. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

You can tent your pond netting so that it won't interfere with your plants. see some images here: https://www.google.com/search?q=pon...X&ved=0ahUKEwig8Ye71fLJAhWDRyYKHc4JCqYQsAQIIQ

12. Faebinder

13. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

I bought a rubber snake and put it next to my pond to scare off "hamerkops" (a type of bird we get here in South Africa which loves eating pond fish). Only problem is I think your herons over there eat snakes! You guys appear to have more wildlife problems than I do and I live in Africa, haha

14. Faebinder

Funny.

Anyway I found this online. I will get it soon in addition the cave that I made.

15. Faebinder

Does anyone know if a fence around the pond actually stops racoons or is mostly for the children.

16. shakaho

It will not stop or even slow a raccoon.

17. Faebinder

I guess it has to be an electric fence then. I'm gonna need to fence the electric fence to prevent the kids from touching it.

18. Faebinder

19. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

If a raccoon came and already had a tasty snack, I can guarantee they will be back for more. I have extensive experience with protecting my chickens from them after coming home years ago and finding they had pulled some of my chickens through the fencing and eaten their heads off. Electric fencing or completely enclosing the pond in chicken wire or hardware cloth is going to be your only options now that they discovered the food source. I tried trapping them, but I stink at it. I shot at one, missed and just ended up putting a hole in our newly resided garage, hah. If you have a game camera like with the motion sensor for deer you can set that up pointed at your pond and see what it is. They even have infrared for seeing at night. Might be worth it if you are losing $100 fish. My neighbors have an electric fence to keep the deer out of their flowers and my son touched it, and I know I won't have to worry about him ever doing that again. :)

20. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

An electric fence & netting would be your best bet. As far as kids touching it, they'll only do it once, I guarantee it!
    I recall as a young boy, being dared to pee on an electric fence (...kids) by a friend who lived in the country. Being a city boy, I had no idea what to expect, but I assure you, 30+ years since, I've never done it again!
    Sometimes it's good for kids to learn things on their own, it can teach them that sometimes there are negative consequences for their actions vs. being coddled in bubble wrap & helmets, by overprotective parents, and never understanding that there are sometimes negative consequences for their actions.

Raccoons are extremely nimble, and can even walk(run) on 2 legs for short distances. They also have extremely dexterous, hyper-sensitive front paws, that allow them to identify objects before touching them. They are extremely intelligent, and can remember how to perform rather difficult tasks(even opening difficult locking mechanisms) for up to 3 years. They occupy every city & town in America. At around $100, a trail cam (as suggested) would be a wise investment, (especially if you're losing high ($) end fish.), to find out exactly what's going on.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Joshua's golds likes this.