Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

My blue boy isn´t himself, help needed

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Buttercup, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Buttercup

Buttercup Active Member

What is Ammonia Level? 0
    What is Nitrite Level? 0
    What is Nitrate level? ~10
    What is Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH)? 7.6, GH 4
    What is Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH)? 6.4
    What is the brand of test-kit used(strips or drops)? API liquid test kit
    What is your water temperature? 72 F
    What is the size of the tank (how many gals.) and how long has it been set up? 75g. 10 months
    What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 2 Eheim 2217´s, AquaClear 110, large sponge
    Is there any substrate in the tank? If so how deep? and what kind (sand, gravel)? Sand, 2 inches, planted
    How often do you change the water and how much? 80% every 5 or 6 days
    How many fish in the tank and their size? five 3 inch fancies
    Do you use water conditioner(if so, what kind)? Prime
    What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy soilent green, Repashy super gold, frozen bloodworms, daphnia, mysis shrimp, blanched peas and leafy greens.
    Is there any new fish/plant added to the tank? if so how long is the quarantine period? No
    Is there any medications added to the tank? Prazipro, just dosed today.
    Describe the problems you are seeing: example grains of salt on body, bloddy streaks, frayed fins, fungus, staying at bottom, not eating, etc? Seems depressed. Bottom sitting when I get home from work, but he comes out when he sees me. Eating normally. Has floated when fed Hikari pellets, but I haven´t seen floating for 2 weeks since throwing pellets in the garbage. He is the only fish I have whose tail fin has started looking a little tattered on the ends. Other than that, no outward signs on fins or body at all. He´s just not himself, and sometimes when I watch him, he will swim a little awkwardly just for a second, but it doesn´t look like floating. All of my fish have gorgeous, healthy looking fins, so that was the first thing I noticed about him. This is so hard to pinpoint, but any suggestions/ideas from the experienced folks would be appreciated. He´s my blue oranda and my latest addition, about 6 months ago. I´m positively in love with him. This is him a few months ago.[​IMG]
    Here he is tonight.
    [​IMG]
    Here’s a couple more pics.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Does anyone else see a strange bulge from his belly on the side?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

your tank conditions are excellent, your food is perfect, from the pictures he looks fine. He just may be a bit quirky regarding his behavior, just observe for now. Can you do a brief video of him swimming

3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

He doesn't look well to me. He looks very thin compared to the picture from 6 months ago. Unfortunately, I don't know what is bothering him. Try moving him to a quarantine tank and offer him plenty of his favorite food.

4. Buttercup

Buttercup Active Member

I don’t know why the pictures I took yesterday look like that. I noticed he looked thin and unwell in those. He doesn’t look that bad in real life though. I’ll qt him and try to plump him up. Should I treat him for parasites or infection? His tail is giving something away...somethings up with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Buttercup

Buttercup Active Member

I will. I think it will be helpful.

6. Buttercup

Buttercup Active Member

Well, I came home from work to find him pine coned, lying on the bottom of the tank. He seemed like he was improving, then yesterday he wasn’t interested in dinner. I don’t have clove oil on hand and I can’t stand the thought of euthanizing, but he’s so far gone. That happened so fast. No idea what I should do

7. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I missed this thread. I'm sorry. He definitely was getting sick. He was wasting and losing color and fin quality. Those little "pits" on his head are indicative of an issue as well. I think he may have been dealing with Hexamita.

If he's already that bad, there's probably little that can be done. I would put him in hospital and slam him with Metro. Twice the amount recommended. If you've got Sulfaplex, add that at recommended dosage too. This will either kill him or bring him back. Don't euthanize yet, sometimes they can bounce back.

8. Buttercup

Buttercup Active Member

Thank you for your response. He passed last night. He was my favorite, so I’m feeling quite discouraged. I can’t seem to keep orandas. I’ve lost 2 now.

I need to focus on the rest of my fish. Should I treat the tank for hexamita? I have kanaplex, sulfaplex and metro.

9. calicomj

I never treat apparently healthy fish for disease, so I can't recommend that. And I know how you feel. I wanted a Ranchu. Got one. Died within two days. Got another one. Died within two days. I gave up. They don't do well in my water. Sorry he passed away...

EDIT:
    I have a tiny little blue Oranda boy that I am trying to get rid of. I'm pulling out of Orandas. I am going to be shipping some of my fish to friends in a while so if you wanted another Oranda, I am sure I will have one left.

10. Buttercup

Buttercup Active Member

Very nice of you to offer. Let me know when you begin to ship. I’m a little hesitant, but I’d like to think about it.

11. calicomj

Oh take your time. No hurry or pressure.

12. Buttercup

Buttercup Active Member

Thanks.

13. Buttercup

Buttercup Active Member

I agree. My fear though is that the same issue he had is slowly working its way toward the others. Seems like maybe it wouldn’t hurt to go after potential bacteria or parasites since we know the others have possibly been exposed now.

Blue was a Petsmart fish. He was gorgeous when I brought him home, so it stands to reason that something in my tank caused his demise. But then, he could have been infected during the short time he was in their disease ridden tanks and it eventually played out in my tank.

I just wish there was a magic powder I could sprinkle in the tank that would eradicate parasites and other nasties so I could keep my orandas to a nice old age. I’m sure we all do.

14. calicomj

The thing is, treating the fish for disease we can't see just doesn't make sense any which way we try to put it. Even if the others did get whatever he got (assuming what he had was communicable, which we cannot verify), they may be strong enough to where it doesn't take them down. Meds may merely weaken and stress them and do the opposite of what you're seeking to do.

At the end of the day, we DON'T KNOW exactly what he had and so slamming the tank with meds aimed to treat all sorts of random stuff isn't the way to go. I will say to watch the others closely and of course we will need to attack much quicker if any others begin to show signs of illness.

15. calicomj

@Buttercup

I am going to ship 3 boys to a friend this week. That's my first time shipping. If all goes well, I can then ship you the blue boy if you want me to. It's your choice. He's a small boy but I think he's got some good growth potential. He's a very tough boy. Easily survived a freeze even at a very small size. Confirmed male even though he's very small. His name is Theresa even though he's male but if you get him, of course free to change the name. He's got a (very cool IMO) top view looking tail. No swimming problems at all. Won't grow huge fins to weigh him down. Won't grow a huge wen to weigh him down either.
    IMG_20180121_120447.jpg

16. Buttercup

Buttercup Active Member

Thank you so much for the update! Let me know how it goes.
    He’s adorable!