Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

My Butterflies!

Discussion in 'Goldfish Judging' started by vwill279, Dec 8, 2015.

1. vwill279

vwill279 Active Member

First of all, I am not the best fish photographer. If anyone has any pointers on how to do it with as little stress to the fish as possible I would love to hear it! I try not to handle them too much, and I hand feed them most of the time, but I can tell they still dont enjoy being held for photos.

I bought these in July as fry from Jeff Hiller. They all had tri or red/white parents and they all turned out pretty much solid color. My luck, eh? I will be selling/trading 2 (to make space for a couple of different colors) and would appreciate your opinion on them. They are young yet, only about 8 months old. I want to keep the three with the best potential to look gorgeous in my patio pond. They are fed Repashy soilent green, saki hikari color enhancing sinking pellets, and frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp.

1.) Black Butterfly. He is the largest, with the largest tail, and has retained his black coloring. I am assuming he will turn solid orange/red someday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2.) Black Bi-color: He is in the process of transitioning from black to solid orange. I'm hoping some white is still hiding, but I doubt it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3.) Orange with white: This guy has a bit of white around his eyes and on his tail. He is one of my favorites
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4.) Solid Orange: This guy has a gorgeous big tail. Once that black fades he will be completely solid orange.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5.) Orange with a bit of white: This guy is mostly orange but has the most white of any of the others. He has two small white crescents. He has the smallest tail of the 5.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thePhysicist

thePhysicist Well-Known Member

They are adorable! Who will you be selling?

3. vwill279

vwill279 Active Member

I havent decided yet. That is why I am hoping some people on here can tell me what they think. These are my first fancy goldfish that I got as babies so I am not sure how they will change as they grow. I want people's experienced opinion on the ones with the most potential! I will not be breeding them on purpose (wont say no if they decide to take it upon themselves), so I dont really care about lines or fry, just want some beauties to adorn my pond.

4. thePhysicist

A great place to start judging your babies is the American Goldfish Association show standards. You can find on their website in a PDF file. My personal taste on butterfly telescopes is a compact body (which is a common must for people) and large eyes. It is also common to have a larger tail. The first, third and fifth fish I would say look the prettiest. Judging on body shape, not color. Can't really see the second fishies body though.

I am in no way a professional though, sadly. Just a hobbyist giving her opinion! I haven't looked too much into tail placement and such. Which is important in judging.

ಠ_ರೃ thePhysicist

5. vwill279

vwill279 Active Member

Thank you! I appreciate your opinion! It is definitely a good resource and I will study it. I also didnt really look for compact bodies and big eyes, I was looking mostly at their tails.

6. thePhysicist

Well if you end up wanting to sell 5 I will take him!

ಠ_ರೃ thePhysicist

7. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

I think all of those butterflies will be more or less mostly orange/red. The pictures are not clear on split tails. I think 3 and 5 will have rounder bodies although they all look to be pretty nice fish.

8. vwill279

vwill279 Active Member

They all have a split in their tail, though 2's doesnt go all the way to the base. None of them has a wide split though, which can make it seem sometimes like they dont have one unless they are actively moving somewhere. I think I am for sure keeping #3. Now I just need to pick 2 more. Then I can finally name them! It has been very hard to hold back.

9. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

To my taste, I would choose 3, 4 and 5 because they look nice both top and side views.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

If your plan is to breed them I would keep all of them. I believe these are F-1 fish. You will probably get nicer fish after your line breed them for a couple of generations

afnaveils likes this.