Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

My little butterfly's tail

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Joshua's golds, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

You guys will have to forgive me if I'm annoying u guys with so many questions. I'm still new at keeping goldfish the right way... So I have my quarantine tank set up, it has substrate which I will will have to go after his stent in there and small piece of drift wood which I brought over from the cycled tank for the BB.

Other than that he had ich 2nd day I had him did temp increase and salt treatments for 7 days. Then I brought the salt back down to 2% and started a prazi treatment two days ago... But today I noticed his tail which was black is now turning transparent or white in spots...

Not sure if this is fungus from the higher temp or something else... Or is it color change

Temp 82f
    Ph 8.0
    Ammonia .25
    Nitrite .25
    Nitrate 5.0 - 10
    Use prime for all water changes
    1 fish 20 gal with heater sponge filter and air stone

Below are pics of his tail which just started today

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Lukass likes this.
  2. Joshua's golds

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here are some over head shots.... Not being under the LED lights it dose look as if it more color change cause I can see a slight bit of orange appearing.... I have just read so many cases of bad stuff happening, I'm being a bit of a hypochondriac over my little fishies...

3. Jackie's Goldfish

Jackie's Goldfish Active Member

It could probably just be it starting to change colors. Is the fish healthy and does the white spots show fungus like growths.

4. Joshua's golds

No nothing really raised or anything and when u look from the underside the transparent or pale color u can see light threw it...also still very active... I would love if there was some white under some of that black

5. Jackie's Goldfish

Then I wouldn't worry much but should still keep a eye on it just in case

Joshua's golds likes this.
  6. Joshua's golds

Like I said I'm probably being a hypochondriac.... Now any little change I'm thinking the worst...

7. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Ammonia and Nitrites should be at 0. My black moor isn't black anymore. The tail color faded a little and most of the body turned orange.

joe and Joshua's golds like this.
  8. Joshua's golds

My tap water reads .25 ammonia and this is a quarantine tank that is not cycled I have been doing daily water changes until I started prazi... I use prime with every water change. Is there any thing I can do different? I don't think there was enough BB on the drift wood considering it was a brand new sponge filter, And everything else was brand new.

9. GoldenMcNewbie

Tetra Safestart is my lazy way. Do 50% daily water changes. Is there another filter besides the sponge? I am assuming you do.

10. Joshua's golds

No just sponge filter and air stone, sponge filter was rated for a 40 gal and quarantine tank is only 20 gal, I have HOB and sponges in my main tanks.

11. GoldenMcNewbie

You need an AquaClear 50 filter. Quarantines should be treated like its gonna live in there for a long time.

12. Jackie's Goldfish

Not necessarily because in a Quarantine tank, all you need running is a heater and sponge filter, waterchanges. Although a aqua clear 50 will help mechanically, the waterchanges should be enough.

Joshua's golds, shakaho and CaliGold like this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

take the sponge filter from your establish tank and use in quarantine tank. Take new sponge filter and place in established tank. So long as your HOB filter is working properly and your tank is fully cycled you should be ok.

14. Joshua's golds

Thanks guys for all ur input

15. Joshua's golds

Ok update on my lil Nugget in quarantine:

As of yesterday he seemed to be getting more black back in his coloring which I thought was odd, this morning I woke up to black smudges all over his body.

He is currently being treated for ich using the natural method
    Temp at around 83f and .3% salt, has has also has two prazi treatments as a preventative... Finished with prazi and only on salt. Not sure what's is causing this coloring flux or if here is something wrong with him it all seems odd to me.

I have been doing daily 20% water changes sometime 50% if there was any elevated levels on water tests.

Yesterday his water was at
    0 ammonia
    Between 1.0 and 2.0 nitrite
    10 nitrate
    Ph 8.0

So i did a 50% water change adding back salt that was taken out
    And prime

His water today is at before water change
    0 ammonia
    .25 nitrite
    5 nitrate
    8.0 ph

Anyone ever experience color leaving color coming back and color like this which he has never had popping up on his side... It almost looks like smut more an coloring. Other than the color he seems healthy eating, swimming, not doing much bottom sitting.

Nugget before all his color changing
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Nugget now
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

It is hard to say, I originally thought ammonia burns but your water is not too bad. It may be related to water temp and lighting conditions. Keep that nitrite low

17. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

They look a lot like ammonia burns. Dang.

18. Joshua's golds

My ammonia with API drop tests 0..... I'm totally lost.. I don't want to start all over cause when I dropped salt content ich came back... Should I possibly loose substrate and just run the cycled filter... Would that help

19. Joshua's golds

The Only thing I can think of if I over medicated or over salted some how out of general mistake

GoldenMcNewbie likes this.
  20. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

When in doubt... 100% water changes daily is what I say, maybe someone with better ideas can step up to this post.