Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

My little butterfly's tail

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Joshua's golds, Jan 19, 2016.

1. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

The only thing i can think going wrong in here is you are doing a lot of experiment on that fish to keep her good which is harming her. I dont give my new fish so much medications and water changes as they are already stressed out by travelling from breeder to retailer and from retailer to our home. Just give them enough time to settle down and be relaxed. And please do the filter changes as joe has told you and let that fish take care of itself. One more thing i do when i buy a new goldfish is that i buy a pair as i think they are social animals and they love to have company of their own.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Susan and Joshua's golds like this.
  2. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

I'm trying to do what's right for the fish and my future stock... Maybe I being over zealous during quarantine... And over doing the treatments.. Please tell me what's the proper routine for quarantine methods to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Joshua's golds

And I did move the cycled filter over to her tank

4. fantail1

fantail1 Professional Breeder

If they were ammonia burns, why aren't the gills, which are far more sensitive, affected?

CaliGold and Joshua's golds like this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

do not over think this. If the fish is active and eating I would not worry too much. Just keep your water conditions good and just observe at this time

CaliGold and Joshua's golds like this.
  6. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

To quarantine you must
    1) water conditioner 2-4 days before getting your new fish and add prazi with your fish or as instructed.
    2)add a cycled filter into your qt tank or just squeeze the sponge of your cycled filter into your qt tank 2-4 days before getting your new fish and add some fish food or ammonia if necessary so that your qt tank and filter gets bb. Which you did.
    3)other than this two you dont need to add any other medications to stress out your new fish if she is not showing any disease symptoms.
    4) when buying a new goldfish always look for healthy and active fish and always buy a pair as i already said they are social animals and they love to have company. I have seen many times when you get only one fish she gets a lot more stressed out, depressed and gets more fearful of humans which increases their stress level and results in them seating in a corner or not being so active as it was in the pet shop.
    5)one more thing which some people will not agree with me is that you don't need daily water changes in such a big tank i.e. 20 gallon for 1 -2 fishes if it is getting cycled. See breeders and retailers do daily water changes as they keep anywhere between 10-30 fishes in a 20 gallon tank depending on their size if we who are keeping only 1-2 fish in 20 gallon tank start doing daily water changes then we are unnecessarily stressing out our fish so please do 25%-50% weekly water changes depending on your water quality.

Goldfish changes color in their 1st year of age and different reasons like
    Change in environment.
    Change in water type.
    • Water temperature.
    • Amount of light.
    • Introduction of other fish or goldfish into the aquarium.
    • Newborn transitioning into adult colouration.
    • Old age. So dont unnecessarily worry about it.

Joshua's golds likes this.
  7. Joshua's golds

[​IMG]

So I think I got everything perfect for Lil Nugget for the rest of quarantine.... Water parameters have been excellent the past three days.... 8 Ph 0 Am 0 Ni 5 Na today.

Lowered temp now that there has been no sign of Ich, has been treated for over 14 days and salt is down to .1%

3 days ago I removed substrate to bare bottom and she is eating well, seems happier and healthier than ever....

Thanks everyone for all ur tips during my first attempt of quarantine. I'm going to keep her quarantined for another 14 days for observation, before moving her into the main tank. Will keep u all posted on Nuggets move to the big leagues keeping fingers crossed we have successful last 14 days of this process.

CaliGold likes this.
  8. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Nugget still seems to be getting darker, do you think it is just a color change at this point? Good job on the parameters! :)

Joshua's golds likes this.
  9. Joshua's golds

Could be color change