Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Mysterious disappearance

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by GoldenMcNewbie, Nov 5, 2015.

1. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

I have a pond in the back that I have neglected for too long. I have removed 20 pounds worth of Parrot Feathers. Some goldfish of mine had not been seen for a month. I know they are dead and I checked after plant removal. No remains of them have been found. Even checked everywhere no remains of any kind not even bone... I wonder what happened. My goosehead and crown pearlscale gone.. Nothing to bury under the date tree. It is my fault for their deaths but I just wondered what happened. Even before the overplanting, I couldn't find one of my Dojos. Do fish decompose that fast?

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

If you didn't have the pond securely covered, they probably fed a predator.

3. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Weird, the surface was entirely covered with parrot feathers, and the roots were DEEP, but predators seem likely.

4. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Racoon most likely

5. mitzi56

mitzi56 Member

most likely a very early bird predator came in and had a feast. dont know how often you're out to check you're pond, but most bird predators will come very early morning or late evening to feed on suscptable fish. I for the first time also lost a large orange who may have been sick. but she suddenly disappeared one day, no body in the pond, just disappeared. I have only had one small egret at my pond in the year that its been up and running, and it got chased away by my dogs quickly. but i suspect another may have flown in while the dogs were in the house and gotten it. I try to keep lots of plants and a few rock shelters in th pond for the fish to hide in in cases like this, but birds figure things out pretty quick and will wait the fish out if nothing chases them off.