Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Need help, relocating to Florida

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Sbuggg13, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Hi Everyone,
    I'll start off with a backdrop for this relocation. I currently live in upstate NY. I work at a job that I am unhappy with, and that is mostly male driven, which in turn is resulting in sexism and I am mentally drained from this. I am tired of taking jobs just because they pay well. I am not happy and I would like to do something that makes me happy. Last week I sent out a few "what I thought were dead end emails" to places of employment that deal with goldfish. To my surprise someone called me back. My "dream" may have the potential to become reality now. Which is both scary and exciting. I've never moved out of state-let alone 24 hours from my family which is very frightening because we are a very close knit one. I told my fiance and after several days of talking he is on board. He works at GE and there is one down there that is right next to my future job. Which is funny to me the way that worked out. Here's the thing... I am chasing a dream of mine and I want it to be a reality. to be able to work with fish everyday would not be a "job" to me and with my fiance's income it wouldn't really matter the pay. I have been doing some research and alot of things I have read says Fl is very high in crime rate-this I was not expecting. I know it's ungodly hot for 9 months of the year, the hurricane risk and the job market sucks. I am looking to move around the clearwater/Tampa area and most likely on the outskirts of that so we won't be in the city. Does anyone live in this area or in Fl in general that can put some input on the living down there? How do you like it? did you move there or have you been born and raised there?

Thanks for your help!

Cybercat likes this.
  2. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Contact Joshua's golds, he lives there. I also live in a high crime area but the worst thing to happen to me is someone breaking into my truck.

Crime doesn't have an address. Crime happens in every City of every State. Most victims of crime are criminals themselves. And for the rest of us, just be security conscious and street smart.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

3. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Thanks Jim, And yes you are right. We live in a safe area now, but if you drive 20 minutes to Troy, it gets kind of bad. I know that crime doesn't have an address, and to be honest it wasn't even on my list of concerns until I started going to forums and doing other website research and I was just taken back by all of the people that said the crime was high there. I guess i've always pictured Florida as a happy retirement community. I guess I was just being blissfully ignorant to the situation. Thanks for the congrats though! I am very excited, and very very nervous at the same time. I hope everything works out.

Sarah

4. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

I think this would be the best thing for me as far as expanding into the market. I'm mostly excited that the fish will probably be in better health because they can stay outside in a natural environment all year round. I'm sure that does wonders for the health of the fish.

5. orangecrush

It's always scary to make a big life change but at least you're not doing it by yourself. Plus there are several fish people in that area, check out Joshua McWilliams ( Water Piggies USA) on GFK or FB.

Good luck in your move and always happy fishkeeping, Jim.

6. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Yea I will have to get in touch with Josh and see how he does it. Thanks Jim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

Sarah you couldn't pay me to move back to FL. Hot not 9 months out of year more like 11 these days. Hurricane and lightening and lots of rain not too mention roaches that fly and are as big as Chihuahuas. Temps 90 and above are the norm many months. I was in Tampa last year it's not cheap and it's crowded. It is one area that does get hit alot by hurricanes. I lived in South FL for 45 years grew up there. I know insurance is high there so are taxes but probably cheaper than NY. Personally I would think a bit hot for goldfish. I knew a few fish farms in FL all did tropicals one had did goldfish or Koi. If you do move there go way inland stay far away from coast. Tidal surge will go far and get into pond kill your breeders.

Work wise alot revolves around winter months and tourists which come down then. Gardening is also done in winter as it's right temp to grow veggies then. Nursery's abound plenty and tropical fish trade is always good. I use to bred swordtails and aquatic plants down there did well as a side business to my grooming and pet sitting. But I left after towers fell met hubby and now live in TN alot more comfortable. I would suggest a trip down first before just going to see what your really getting into. Pick summer prices are cheaper then off tourist season.

8. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Hi Cybercat,
    Thanks so much for the input, I appreciate that. It seems like you know a lot considering you lived there for so long, and in the area we were looking to live next to. I have done much debating, discussing and back and fourth with the hubby and we have decided that it is not a good time to move. He is invested in his job and worked hard to get there and I don't want to be the reason he gives it up. I think I just need a get away from all of this cold, unfriendly weather (winter blues). It's too cold outside to do anything and I am very much cooped up. So we have decided that mid February we will be taking a week long vacation to Florida. I think that's all I need. I originally wanted to move to live in a more tropical climate, and also to keep my fish outside all year round because there are so many benefits to doing that. I have decided that I can do this outside during the spring and summer months here and just bring them inside in the winter. When we come back from vacation and we get our taxes done we are going to be looking into buying a house up here and I can just get excited about making arrangements for my fish then :)
    Thanks everyone who replied!

Cybercat likes this.
  9. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Also, Just wanted to point out that I saw in my research that Tampa is known as "sinkhole alley" and to be quite frank, that scares the absolute daylights out of me lol. On a side note, and I guess not fish related..Have you ever been to weeki wachee springs? I want to kayak there with the manatees and the water is crystal blue. Just wondering if you've ever been.

10. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

Good choice all around. Florida is really a lovely place to visit. Lots to do as you will see. Make sure to visit a few of the fish farms there. Not sure how many around area your wanting to vacation too but there should be at least one in travel distance.

Gads I totally forget about the sink holes. One Fact most don't know is To is all coral rock underneath. Which means when water table drops so does land on top. It's all porous which is why even inland ground is sand. It's nothing but a huge old coral reef now Sand bar so to speak. Very unique Flora and fauna there a different way of living too. Enjoy your trip and new house up there. That will be the real exciting part. Picking a house with a fish room in mind.

11. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Yes I most definitely will! I did learn a lot of new things about Florida through research I do have to say, and a lot of it was scary haha.

12. orangecrush

Hey Sbuggg13, just an idea. Are you able to build a greenhouse to keep your fish in outdoors in year around?

Jim.

13. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Hey Jim,
    I could build a greenhouse, my dad is really good with things like that and I’ve thought about it many times. The only things that concern me are the heavy snow falls, we can get a lot of snow and I wouldn’t want the weight of the snow to cave it in. Also, I will admit although fish can survive with the right tools in the harsh winters, I have anxiety about loosing some of my stock. The fancy goldfish aren’t as hardy as commons. But I was thinking of maybe applying some sort of heat inside, just to keep it above freezing. I’d love to hear any feedback about ideas or suggestions. If I did build one it probably wouldn’t be right away anyways. I’ve also thought of using a shed, but then again I really enjoy having my fish inside to view.. I think I would miss them lol.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

No disrespect to our friend Cybercat but Florida is a great place to live. Especially where you will be residing in the Tampa area. there are a lot of small towns outside of the Tampa area where I am sure you will feel comfortable. I am from Miami and yes it is very different here than the rest of the United States. It is extremely hot and humid here most of the time and yes we do have hurricanes but you have many days to prepare for them. Give Florida a try

15. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Thanks for the reply Joe, I think a lot of people have different experiences with Florida from what I could tell during my countless research and forums. I agree that it does depend on where you live in Florida that makes the difference. If we were to move to the Tampa area we would definitely be moving to an outside area, more inland because we both don't want to be in a city area. For now, I guess I'll still be a NY girl, but I still have hope that I will one day move to FL :)

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Come down and visit us any time Florida will always be here for you.

17. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Plan on it next month :)