Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Need help

Discussion in 'Advance Water Quality' started by Anthony L Tubbiolo, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Anthony L Tubbiolo

Anthony L Tubbiolo New Member

I need some advanced direction on setting a strategy that brings some balance to my 55 gallon fancy goldfish tank. The balance I seek is for plants and fish to thrive together. Let me explain my setup and then at the end I will give my water parameters.
    55 gallon tank with 4 fancy goldfish and 6 small zebra something fish.
    Not sure what kind of plants are in there but refer to the pics.
    Filter system includes a Hydor canister that has 5 or 6 media trays. 2 trays have ceramic bio rocks one has activated charcoal and the others have various forms of mechanical sponge material. The Hydor return hose goes to a spray bar that I have angled upward to move the surface around. I run a second filter on the top side of things that contains more bio rocks and a bag of purigen. The water is cooled with a chiller and kept at 68 Fahrenheit. Water is RODI with Kent RO added after. Dosage is 4 tsp. per 5 gallons of water.
    There is drift wood, and an air stone for more water movement. I have a DIY co2 kit ready to go but not in place yet. I also have a led grow light system that duplicates a 24 hour sun cycle of sorts. Ok, so I want the plants to grow full and be healthy, but I don't want to torture the fish in the process.
    Phosphates: 2.0 ppm
    Nitrates: 15 ppm
    Nitrites: 0 ppm
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    PH: 7.8
    KH: 53.7 ppm
    GH: 250.6 ppm
    So my question is how to I raise my KH without making my PH even higher than it is? Take into account that I do have co2 at my disposal.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

nice tank set up :)
    you can raise kH using bi-carb soda (the regular powder stuff you get at your grocery store) . Aim for around 150.
    Or else, crushed coral in your cannister filter or aragonite sand substrate (instead of the pebbles)

goldfish are messy and poop a lot, and having that much substrate may cause anaerobic pockets. either way if you decide to keep it, just make sure you really vacuum well when doing your water changes :)

3. Anthony L Tubbiolo

Won't bi-carb raise ph also?

4. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Edit: I stand corrected ;)

raising the kH will just mean that your water pH won't crash

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  5. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Bicarbonate raises both pH and KH. It does not effect Gh.

chocky likes this.
  6. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Nothing wrong with raising your PH - both the Goldies and the plants will do well. Baking soda usually buffers PH to about 8.3.
    I agree that you should ditch all or most of the gravel if you're going to keep the plants potted and on driftwood as shown. Your current plants will do fine without Co2, BTW.
    If you want all the gravel, put in a lot of rooted plants, these help keep the substrate aerobic, however you will have a hard time finding plants that the goldfish won't keep uprooting.

7. Anthony L Tubbiolo

Great food for thought. Thank you so much.