Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

need urgent help

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by neptunez blue, Jan 7, 2018.

1. neptunez blue

neptunez blue New Member

My medium sized ryukin goldfish has been floating upside down now for just over a week and a half, ive been feeding him only peeled peas for last two days to try and flip him right side up but it has not worked. Then just yesterday he started to have a red blood-like area show up on one of his bottom fins and it seems to be getting larger. It looks pretty bad and I fear that whatever it is might kill him. I need to get hime rightside up and clear this red area but i have no idea what it is or how to treat it.

The levels of my tank are all at 0, besdies nitrates which is just a little above normal but i try to keep this under control with water changes. The tank is 45 gallons and has been established for almost a year now. water temp is at 67F. There are are two other small goldsfish in the same tank that are completely fine.

Attached Files:

2. Natasha.

Natasha. Member

Looks to me like bruising, and given that it is only at his pelvic fins that look to be breaching the surface, I wonder if it's just a traumatic/mechanical injury. To me, I wouldn't treat that.

What is the story with the swim bladder problems, was the onset acute or did he have buoyancy trouble before? Is he able to right himself to any degree? Is he able to eat any peas in given his being upside down?

3. neptunez blue

neptunez blue New Member

Hmm I never really thought it could be bruising because he hasnt been moved out of the tank for a couple weeks now, would it be possible for him to cause that bad of a bruise just by swimming in the tank?

Now the swim bladder issue was present this past summer but he would right himself within a day. it has never been this bad where he has been upside down for over a week now. And yes the only time he really rights himeslf at all is when i put food in the tank, its just that when ever he stops swimming he slowly turns upside down.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

looks like bacterial secpticemia. What type of test kit are you using. If you are using those strips you may get very inaccurate readings

5. neptunez blue

neptunez blue New Member

I am using the API drop test kit which I hear is pretty accurate.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

it may be bruising from sitting in the same position but the area looks very irritated

7. neptunez blue

neptunez blue New Member

Its been a couple more days and the red area is only getting worse, his swim bladder problem is still pretty bad and is not getting better. I know looks like the red area is very bloated and is what causing him to float upside down.
    If any one can help me in this situation to try and identify what the problem is it would be greatly appreciated.

8. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

High nitrates can cause nitrate sensitive fish to flip over. What do you mean your nitrates are "a little above normal"? We need numbers. Get those under 20 and keep them there and see if his buoyancy issues improve. What shape is the tank? Please give me the dimensions. What do you NORMALLY feed (not the peas)?

The red area IMO is from being upside down all the time. Worsening irritation since he can't flip back over the correct way. I suspect soon enough it will worsen even more. But that area right there is where the irritation always starts. He needs to be moved to shallow water. An under bed storage tote will work great for this.

If he's been flipped over for weeks, his prognosis isn't good TBH. This MAY be a bacterial issue. That area looks bad. I would also medicate. In this case I would say to try Oxytetracycline or Furan-2. If your pH is close to neutral, try Maracyn 2 instead.