Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

New here, need some help

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by CalicoGold, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Depending on how good the stand needs to look, you can put together a 55 gallon stand for less than than $10.

Get six 16" x 8" x 8" concrete blocks. They cost $0.96 each now in Menards. Homedepot or Lowes should be similarly priced. Stack 3 rows high on each end with the holes vertical (not like in the picture below but it is really a moot point because the blocks can support so much weight).

Select one of the best 2 x 4 x 8'. It should cost between $2 - $3. Cut it in half (the store may do it for you) and lay them flat on the concrete block. If you want more security, you can use 2 x 6 or 2 x 8. The picture below does not even use that but a 2x lumber is beneficial, IMHO.

You can hide that rudimentary stuffs with drapery or bed sheet or . . .

Glass tanks only needs to be supported around the four corners.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

True, however it is a good idea to have support all the way around the perimeter,( as this redistributes the weight more evenly/efficiently). Although they do not generally require anything directly underneath the entire underside.

Lou likes this.
  3. mjfromga

mjfromga Well-Known Member

The tank on the cinder blocks... Haha. That looks so silly to me. Oh, well! Whatever works!

4. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

As said, they are different.

Since we are talking about a 55 gallon double metal stand, a 40B won't fit on the bottom but a 40L will because it has the same foot print as a 55.

5. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

I really like the Sylvania SkyWhite 8000K T8 bulb I found at Menards that gives a really crisp white light, instead of making the water look yellow.

CaliGold likes this.
  6. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Right, that is why I suggested the 2x lumber rather than just the corners on concrete.

If all the perimeter is supported, it is actually important to make sure the center span part is either level or lower than the corners (crown down). Gaps there are not bad but gaps at the corners are not good. Wood can change its shape with moisture and load.

Taken from another forum about a response from All-glass Aquarium Co. (now Aqueon) for a question concerning gaps between the stand and aquarium bottom trim.

The most important factor about a tank set up is that all four corners need to be supported equally and the tank needs to be level, if there is a gap it is probably due to the frame being warped a little, and in time it should straighten itself out with the weight of the water in it. You do not have to be concerned too much about this.
    Sincerely,
    Charlene
    Customer Service
    All-Glass Aquarium Co., Inc
    info@allglass.com

7. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

I know it would cost more but it would be cool to fill in the space between the block end with solid block then paint moss in a design or randomly.... Give it a urban natural spin

http://m.wikihow.com/Make-Moss-Graffiti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

That tank looks like it's gonna snaP in half!

9. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Lukass and CaliGold like this.
  10. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

Amazing

11. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

This would be an option for me. The tank is just in my bedroom so it's for me to enjoy, not a display piece. I will keep this in mind! I'm having a hard time picturing the orientation of the blocks that you're describing. Would that mean that the "stand" would only be roughly 16 inches high?

This would actually be cool because I could easily just have a thin piece of particle board or something similar that is somehow clipped or leaning against the front of the "stand" to make it looks a little more appealing, and I could use the space beneath for storage.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  12. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

It would still be 24" high if you use three courses. The blocks are 8" x 8" x 16". What I meant is to turn the block 90 degrees holes are vertical (the ones in the photo have the holes horizontal). It is not a big deal because the blocks can support a lot more weight than an aquarium and water but the blocks can support the most weight with the holes vertical.

Two courses are high enough for signing, etc.

13. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

Oh, okay! I understand now. I was thinking you meant the whole block would be vertical. That makes a lot of sense, the blocks are much stronger in that orientation. Would it be problematic to use say, 4 stacked blocks on each end for even more height? I don't know if it get's too "tippy" at a certain height.

14. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

It would not be a problem. If you search Utube for Aquarium Co Op. He has his whole fish room set up with blocks, many courses high.

CalicoGold likes this.
  15. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

Thanks so much! I'll do that!

16. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Here is the video:

17. jmhg11

jmhg11 New Member

i have a question is it worthwhile building a tank because im having a hard time finding a tank for a reasonable price the cheapest ive seen is 10 gallon for 50 dollars but a 40 gallon is about 200 dollars

18. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

It depends on how cheaply you can come by the materials. If you're building a plywood tank/pond it may certainly be cheaper to build, but a quality glass or acrylic tank may be just as expensive once you add the costs of all the components. Have you tried looking into classifieds for a good used tank that someone may be selling for cheaper?

Fishheadz likes this.
  19. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

A trip south of the border during the Petco dollar per gallon sale, gets you a 40B for $40.

CaliGold likes this.
  20. RyukinChris

RyukinChris Member