Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

New member from NJ

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by ThatGuy, Jan 18, 2016.

1. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

Just wanted to say hey. Not new to fish just new to a goldfish species tank. Had fw fish for as long as I can remember and sw for the past couple years. Right now I have a lionhead, celestial eye, oranda, and a black Moore with some gold. Right now they are in a 10 gallon. Three of them will be moving to a 40 gallon shortly as I've recently learned that loinheads should be by themselves so there isn't any competition for food so he's going to stay in the 10 gal. I'll most likely start a thread somewhere with pictures to track progress. Hope I can help where I can and hope to find advice as I've never had fancy goldies before.

CaliGold likes this.
  2. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

Lionheads can grow to ten inches, though most don't. If you can afford it, you may want to consider getting a 20 gallon for the lionhead and use the 10 as a quarantine tank if you don't already have one. Though some on this site may have different opinions, I have always heard that the rule of thumb is 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each additional fish. Goodies need lots of room to swim, so minimal decor is best especially if the lionhead has to stay in the 10 gallon for a while. Welcome to GFK!!!!!!

3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

I can upgrade to a 20 gal eventually. Right now it is only 2.5 inches at best.
    Do they prefer length or height? Should I go 20 long or just a standard 20?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  4. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Length for better oxygenation.

5. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

goldfish tend to swim horizontally rather than vertically, so long would be better. Which typically means wider as well. That means better oxygenation like faebinder said. If the lionhead is going to be by himself, then the 20 should be okay, but goldfish are social so perhaps a 40 gallon breeder so he can have a friend or two. Petco is running their dollar a gallon sale till the 23rd I believe.

6. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

Would any of the listed Goldies I have already work with him or should it just be another lionhead? From what I see the Moore and Oranda are the most aggressive to the food and the Celestial just aimlessly nips off the bottom.

7. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

I've had lionheads with orandas and they did just fine. I currently have a lionhead with butterfly telescopes and they each get plenty of food. As long as you keep the double tails together and don't put single tails with them. Single tails are much faster and will get to the food quicker.