Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

New Telescopes, Colour Questions!

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Natasha., Jan 7, 2018.

?

Are you a fan of chocolate and lavender colours?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Indifferent, I prefer a quality fish

4. Indifferent, it's all about personality

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Natasha.

Natasha. Member

I picked up 3 young telescopes from a LFS yesterday. I pulled the 3 mainly for their colours, and I hope I will be able to groom them to be reasonable adults. They are 2-2.5 inches tip to tail and these colours are rare in Canada, so I don't think I did too badly for $22 altogether. I believe the first two are chocolate and also lavender and chocolate, but the last one is puzzling me. He is a pale yellow/lavender colour, I thought maybe albino but he doesn't quite match Google images.

Anybody have any insights as to what colour he is? I also added pictures of the others to compare and confirm their colour.
    IMG_20180107_110022.jpg IMG_20180107_110018.jpg MVIMG_20180106_212321.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Hunter

Hunter Active Member

I personally would guess he's gonna acquire a spot or two of other colors, the more chocolate one looks like it will have the heaviest change to my eyes I had a solid black butterfly turn into a stunning tri-color in a few short months (she even had a phase where she had a mustache)
    21034246_1761369530539855_226174727388565916_n.jpg -> Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20171002221209.gif -> 24131284_1869138493096291_487694846331294200_n.jpg This is Brae, Brae forgot the store sold her as a moor... Brae did remember that I didn't buy that one bit

Natasha. likes this.
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

very cool color. I believe it is called leucistic. which basically means a very pale color fish with red eyes. It would be albino if the fish was all white.

Natasha. likes this.
  4. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

Technically albinism is the lack of melanin pigmentation specifically. Humans don't have other skin pigmentation so we're all white without melanin. Goldfish have multiple pigment types so they can still be colored and albino. Most of @bkrhodesva albino veils and bubble eyes are that peach color. Leucistic means having diminished melanin versus albinism being the complete lack of melanin. In both cases though, it's still specifically relating to black pigment.

Natasha., bkrhodesva and joe like this.
  5. bkrhodesva

bkrhodesva Professional Breeder

Spot on Chris. My fish are albino because they have lost melanin, but they still retain the red pigment which gives them the peach color. The SUPER white albinos lack melanin and red.
    Bryan

nolaveils and Natasha. like this.
  6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

would you not call it lutino

Natasha. likes this.
  7. Natasha.

Natasha. Member

Great input everyone, thanks!

I have also consulted a facebook goldie group and it seems that lutino is technically the correct name (no melanin, but retains reds/yellows and has red eyes), but it appears that this is going around as "albino" and "red eyed" in the trade.

Apparently lutinos are known for poorer health so I just hope I can keep this trio intact, and maybe in a year or two I will be able to start up some breeding with these more unusual colours that aren't really seen in Canada. I'm just so in love with these little peanuts!