Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

New to Fancy Goldfish in Rockford Michigan

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by Scifisarah, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

After keeping Mbuna cichlids for several years in a 75 gallon, I decided to switch to fancy goldfish for happier occupants. I sold my 30+ cichlids to someone at a steal of a deal and kept seven of my Syno petricola catfish and two bristlenose plecos. I know most people suggest keeping fancy goldfish in a species only tank, but I really like my cats so hopefully they can coexist. I have had them 2-3 years so most are fully grown 3-4 inches. I am trying to keep the temp around 73-74 degrees for the sake of the catfish. So far I have purchased the three goldfish in the video from Preuss Pets in Lansing, and am hoping to find another 2-3. It is filtered with a Fluval FX5 and I added two pads last time to slow the water down a bit. Substrate is Caribsea Tahitian Moon Sand, and I have a tall tower of rocks in the middle of the tank for my catfish. I am feeding Repashy Soilent Green, NLS Goldfish 3 mm pellets, and NLS Thera-A mostly for the catfish. I'm also working on a new spray bar with bigger holes so the water doesn't shoot out like in the video. I am going to try to angle the holes slightly this time, so hopefully it will push all the poop towards the filter intake side, instead of cycling it around and around. I took the cichlid spray bar off and have just the normal water output on right now so they aren't being blasted. :)

HaakmezDarko and Lou like this.
  2. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Welcome and nice setup. I am a little north of where you are.

The current in the tank might be a tad too strong for the goldfish.

3. Scifisarah

Yes, that was the first day I put them in the tank. That spray bar was set up for a heavy current for my Mbuna cichlids. I took it out right away and put the normal water output back on so most of the tank is more still. The goldfish still go and try to swim in front of the where the water is coming out sometimes though, silly boys. :) I am making a new spray bar today with bigger holes in it. Smaller holes create more pressure so the water shoots out with more force and if I do bigger holes, it will come out more slowly.

4. Scifisarah

Do you have any ideas of where to find nice goldfish in Michigan? Other than Dandy Orandas... which I love the look of but should not splurge on right now. I'm willing to drive an hour or two.

5. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

6. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Not I know of. Sorry. There used to be a shop in downtown Mt Pleasant (I got some large orandas from him years ago) but I have not been there for many many years.

If you find a source, please let us know.

7. HaakmezDarko

HaakmezDarko New Member

Hello Sarah! lol I keep bumping into you about goldfish on the internet. (Brandon From GVAC Facebook Group)

I completely forgot about this place but its called Club Green Tropical Fish now. I also used to get them from there several years ago, he said he use to get them from a local breeder. Not sure what he has now.
    https://goo.gl/maps/CpVhQZvf44w
    https://www.facebook.com/ClubGreenAquatics31/

Scifisarah likes this.
  8. Scifisarah

I did really enjoy going to Preuss Pets in Lansing. I like that they have a fish vet there, they quarantine, and one of their employees is into fancy goldfish, although I did not buy the Saki Hikari he suggested, after some research of my own. I am almost tempted to get a few more of those calico Ryukins from Preuss as I am really enjoying them. They are so plump and friendly.

9. Scifisarah

Hah, we seem to have gone goldfish crazy at the same time, so funny. :) I will let you know if I find anything new in my search. I'll probably go to the GVAC sale next week, but I doubt they will have goldfish at that as it is mostly cichlid breeders. I want to get some plants at the auction in March to try out.

10. HaakmezDarko

HaakmezDarko New Member

Yeah, Ive been really trying to get back into the hobby and do things right. I love keeping goldies, so much more personality!. I figured that's what will make up most of the sale but I will try to make it to the show as well for the same reason. I want to find a couple Bristlenose Plecos, since they make a good tankmates for goldies. I also have never messed around with live plants till a couple weeks ago, picked up my first Anubias from Peruss. What plants do you think you might go with?

11. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

Try East Coast Ranchu or East Coast Goldfish on Facebook. Their fish are nice and not crazy expensive.

12. HaakmezDarko

HaakmezDarko New Member

The goldfish I bought back in August, were all from https://nextdaykoi.com/ They're really reasonably priced and I was happy with all the fish I bought. Ive emailed them and confirmed they plan to carry a much larger selection fancies outside the winter season.

13. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

With 7 catfish, two bristlenoses, and three goldfish, your 75 gallon tank is already heavily stocked.

14. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Their opals look nice.

15. Scifisarah

I am one less bristlenose pleco today. I've had him for three years ever since I got the tank so I am very bummed. He was an itty bitty thing I got at the GVAC sale. I used the regular water output for like 3 days, and he managed to swim up that and get stuck. Probably when I turned the filter off briefly during feeding time. I will definitely only be using spray bars from now on so I don't lose my other one. I will really miss how they postured at each other, since they were both males. :(

I'll find what I am looking for locally, eventually. I think there are some good fish stores in Milwaukee, Wisconsin that I will be going to next month when I am visiting my parents.

16. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

I agree with shakaho, your tank definitely seems to be pretty well-stocked already. If you consider the suggested 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 gallons for each one after that, you're already at 40 gallons for 3 goldfish. Adding another 2-3 goldfish would bring that up to 60-70 gallons needed just for the goldies. I'm not sure what the stocking recommendations are for bristlenose plecos or cats, but 35 gallons for an additional 8 fish already seems to be on the tight side. Or maybe goldfish really are just the messiest fish in the world! Haha! Anyways, you might consider getting another tank set-up for the catfish and then doing a goldfish only tank so you don't have to worry about the temperatures as much, etc., and so you can add a few more goldfish if you really want them. :)

17. Scifisarah

I will keep an eye on my water conditions and not get more if I find it is getting too bad. I'd like to get a plant or two to help, but I think the ones that are best at cleaning the water are probably the ones the goldfish would find the most delicious. :) Worst case scenario is I will rehome a goldfish or two, or the catfish. I have that many because they like to school and are happiest in groups. We won't be getting another fish tank or bigger one until we buy a bigger house (ours is 950 sq ft on the main floor) which won't be happening for a few years yet since I also want a good amount of acreage. Then I'll switch to a much bigger tank, and can keep using the already cycled FX5 filter with it. Right now the tank is in a 49 inch space between two windows in our living room and there is literally no other spots upstairs in our house to fit a larger tank without blocking windows.

CaliGold likes this.
  18. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

Scifi, I live in a 500 sq ft studio in a high rise in Downtown St Pete Florida, I have three tanks set up now a 20gal for quarantine, 29 gal and a 55 gal... I might have to get a tub and put on rollers to go under my desk to raise the fry in once my breeders start spawning. Moving into a bigger place might be in my near future lol

19. Scifisarah

Just move before you have kids - they are money suckers. :p

20. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

They are not in my future thank god