Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

New to goldfish, goldfish rescue!! Help

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by Brabant, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Brabant

Brabant Member

image.jpeg I got on Craigslist last night looking at Aquariums and came across a post where this lady has three fancy goldfish in bad conditions and I don't have the heart to not help them. I need some advice on a simple hospital tank setup for them!! I'm short on room and was thinking about a tote from wally-world with a bio foam filter in it but I don't want to shock them either https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pet/5406550686.html image.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Lukass likes this.
  2. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Yes, a tote would be good - they may even settle faster and be less stressed in a tote than a see thru glass tank. Get at least a 20 - 30g one. You will need to do daily water changes or every other day and does with Prime each time to prevent ammonia poisoning while they are healing.

Give it a try, would be very satisfying to bring these fish back to health, however do you have the room and means for a permanent set up for them?

Brabant likes this.
  3. Brabant

Brabant Member

Thank your so much! As far as permanent set up I was thinking I would buy the tank they are in (90 gall) and test with my master kit and clean it and try to get it cycled right because I don't want to put them with my little guys in my tank (55gal)

Fishheadz likes this.
  4. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Great plan! Keep us posted :)

Brabant likes this.
  5. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

If I were in your position, I would offer the individual selling $150, and she can keep the great wall of china & rock.
    I can't tell if it's dirty glass, dirty water, or if those fish actually have ich, good call on not putting them into your existing aquarium!
    It appears that their living conditions have been neglected for quite some time, I certainly hope you are able to change that for them.

Brabant likes this.
  6. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Surprised they aren't bottom sitting.

Brabant likes this.
  7. Brabant

Brabant Member

I've thought about that but I'm just going to set them up in a hospital tank and my mom has a 75 gallon aquarium so I'll work on cycling that! Plus if I keep them in something smaller for now water changes won't be so hard not that I mind I already do it a lot lol I'm just going to assume they're sick and try my hardest to nurse them back to health :)

Fishheadz likes this.
  8. Brabant

Brabant Member

Me too! Poor babies they're troopers that's for sure!!

9. Brabant

Brabant Member

She has somebody getting the big tank so :( but I'm determined to make this work as non stressful as possible for these guys

Fishheadz likes this.
  10. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Tell us if their behavior has changes.

11. DCSteve

DCSteve Active Member

How about some filtration/aeration?

12. Brabant

Brabant Member

That's not my tank!! That is the tank I rescued them from.

13. Elizabeth Record

Elizabeth Record Member

Poor babies, I wonder how long she left them like that :( ...Very lucky goldfish are so sturdy, I don't think any other fish would be able to last that long. I have two fish I rescued from situations like that. Make sure you get an airstone for them, not only will it help with air but goldfish love to play in bubbles, its amazing how quickly they snap back. Frequent water changes will most likely be a must too... Please keep us updated. xox They're so cute.

14. RyukinChris

RyukinChris Member

Aquarium salt at 1 tsp/gal, plants, and Fritz-Zyme Turbo Start Freshwater 700 helped us immensely. A few simple changes and now our fish are doing great. Oh and if you have an established tank, steal some filter media for their new digs. Help jump start their cycle.

15. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

How are these little guys doing, good I hope ?

Jim.