Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Old guy, new hobby in GA

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by MichaelWms62, Jan 5, 2016.

1. MichaelWms62

MichaelWms62 Member

Hi, I am a guy who had to retire because of my health. I've been watching videos for months on fish keeping. Now I'm ready to start. I don't know enough to even ask dumb questions yet, so I'll just look and learn for a while. Thanks in advance for the help, Michael

TwistedNerve and Lukass like this.
  2. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Welcome to GFK! :)

Hopefully you find all the answers you're looking for here. Most importantly would be to figure out what exactly you're looking for in your aquarium hobby :)

Then look around to find out about stocking recommendations, tank cycling, the nitrogen cycle for aquariums, and different aesthetics. Ask any questions you can before you actually go out and get something (lots of us rookies have made a few mistakes along the way regarding this, and it'll probably happen to you as well, but it never hurts to try).

Enjoy your time here!

Lukass likes this.
  3. MichaelWms62

MichaelWms62 Member

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not in a hurry. I plan on getting my aquarium around the end of Feb as a birthday present for myself. Then 2-3 weeks for cycling before I even get my fish. I know I will make mistakes but I want try to be sure its not fatal to my new friend.

4. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Firstly, welcome to GFK ! Contained within this forum is a plethora of knowledge about keeping Goldfish.

You should allow yourself considerably more time to cycle. While it may be possible to cycle in 2-3 weeks, understand that it may take upwardly of 4-8 weeks, or longer.
    There are many factors and variables, as to how long it will take you.

Gold Digger likes this.
  5. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

How do you plan to cycle your tank?

6. MichaelWms62

MichaelWms62 Member

Thanks, My cycling plans are to cycle fishless but starting with the bag of
    bioballs that I have been sitting in my friends koi pond. I hope this will give me a boost on my cycle but if it takes longer I'm okay with that. I think the cycle is complete when I add ammonia to 4 ppm and its gone in 24 hrs being replaced with nitrate. Am I correct in this?

CaliGold likes this.
  7. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

Hello Michael, welcome to GFK :D

I am a newbie myself, not very sure if I got it right, but I think if your biofilter is able to convert 4ppm of ammonia into Nitrate in 24 hours, that means your tank is ready for fish.

Also, since you are using biomedia from a different pond, you may want to make sure all fish is healthy and without parasite in that pond. Everything happens in that pond will likely be carry over to your tank, and that may include plants, algae and small invertebrate.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    CaliGold and Fishheadz like this.
  8. MichaelWms62

MichaelWms62 Member

Thanks, I'm aware of the parasite risk but all 4 of his fish seem healthy and they have been in his small pond for 5 or 6 years. I might end up with some snails thats the only worry I really have. John's pond isn't teaming with snails but there are some. We put the media in his filter beside his media bag. He usually has 2 in there but this time 1 is mine. I think the spong should catch the snails and eggs before theyy reach the biomedia. We will see how it turns out and I'll keep you posted.