Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Opinions on two of my goldfish.

Discussion in 'Goldfish Judging' started by Kirin, May 19, 2015.

1. Kirin

Kirin Member

I am new here but I have been looking for opinions on two of my fish from people with experience :)
    This is Chi and I assume her to be a low grade ryukin or a veiltail or maybe a mix. But I would like opinions on her and any faults :) Just a side note that when these pictures were taken was when the previous owner had put plastic plants in which I assume caused the ripped fins so they are healing as I replaced them with water lilies and live plants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In this photo you can see the extent of the damage by the fins better but they are healed now. She is 5 years old now so I don't know how much I can improve on her other then healing the fins and colour intensity.

The next fish is Chibi-ryu who is very young so I can work on him a little bit more and hopefully help his colouration improve. But I would also like criticism on him/her please :) Ignore the messy room.
    Oh and he is a fantail he was sold as anyway but not sure whether his tail will drop with age or whether he isn't a fantail at all.
    [​IMG]
    Thank you! I am happy to hear any criticism of my fish and any possible improvements would be greatly received too :)

2. LadysSolo

LadysSolo Breeder/keeper

The red and white looks to be a long fin ryukin with not really enough hump. The other fish looks like a fantail with longer than average finnage.

3. Kirin

Kirin Member

Thank you! Are the really long fins an issue like with their quality?

4. fantail1

fantail1 Professional Breeder

Are long fins an issue? It depends on what you are looking to get from the fish. If you are looking to enjoy a beautiful fish in a home aquarium, then no they are not an issue because what matters there is what you enjoy looking at. If however you are looking to show the fish in a competition, then it will matter as each variety has a show standard and some of them, for example the Fantail, have relatively short tails. In that case a long tail will count against it. Similarly if you are looking to breed show standard fish then a long tail in one of the parents will make the task that much harder. That said, as nature tries to work backwards towards the original carp, you can usually find shorter tailed fish in a spawning even if the parents were both long tailed.