Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Oranda Question

Discussion in 'Goldfish Breeds' started by Silverphish, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Silverphish

Silverphish Active Member

I sadly had to euthanize one of my goldfish yesterday (she lost the battle with swim bladder problems), and would like to get a replacement. I have two other healthy fan tails left, they are in a 40 gal breeder now and will be moving into a 75 gal in August.

One of my local pet shops has some very colorful calico-ish orandas, but I have never owned one personally, so I have some questions.
    1. I see a lot of people on here that have to trim the wen since it over grows the eyes, and I was wondering if this is just part of having this particular breed, I'm not squeamish but I would not have a clue how to do it right / safely.
    2. I also see that people are feeding very protein rich diets to speed up the wen growth. All of mine are on repashy soilent green and doing well, so I really don't want to start adding a different diet. So without the extra protein will the wen just grow slower and maybe not get to show quality?

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

These are pet fish, right? You have them on a good diet, and have no reason to grow a huge wen. I suggest you continue what you are doing.

3. Silverphish

Yes, these are only pets.
    How common is it to need to trim their wens? Is it like a long haired dog that will need to get groomed on a regular basis or is it a once in a life time type of thing?

Also, does the the weight of the wen cause any swimming problems later in life, like when they are in the 6-8 inch range

4. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

More like once in a lifetime, and usually never, on the wen trimming. It is done if the weight of the wen conflicts with swimming as you said or with being able to find food if the eyes are covered, but these cases are out of the ordinary.

CaliGold likes this.
  5. Silverphish

Thanks Ci. I really like them, but was afraid they required more maintenance than other fancy breeds so I have never gotten one. Now i think I will :)