Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Peabody’s medicated food

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Justintime, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

does anyone have any experience with this med I bought the prazi flakes and kanamycin flakes I have an Oranda’s that I just can’t seem too straighten out so I’ve been doing a lot of research and finally found a article with a fish that he’d issues that look identical to his so I figure what the hell the fish i read about had a parasite that ate through his slime coat and he got a bacteria infection that his skin grew over and kept the bacteria trapped under a lump on the fish so I figure treated with prazi n then antibiotic could help I’ve been battling this with this fish for about a year now he acts fine and is active and eats well but it just looks bad

2. Buttercup

Buttercup Member

I bought a bag of prazi flakes for my floaty oranda. I fed for 7 days, but she still floats after eating. My issue was that I can’t find an expiration date on any of the Peabody flakes I’ve bought. I bought them last year and have no idea if they are still good or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justintime likes this.
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

never used any type of medicated flake food but flakes are terrible for goldfish. Both prazi and kenamycin comes in powedr form. Why would you be using these medications for a floaty fish in the first place

4. Buttercup

Buttercup Member

Initially I wasn’t sure what was going on. I thought it could be a parasite or something bacterial. I never feed flakes otherwise. This was a while back. I’ve since learned that the Saki-Hikari pellets cause her to float. I feed Repashy Soilent Green, frozen foods and leafy greens and she doesn’t float afterwards. Still wish I knew what was going on.

5. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Joe,, why do you say flakes are terrible for goldfish?

6. calico3

calico3 Well-Known Member

I also do not use flakes and it is very hard to find medicated food in Canada. With goldfish I feed mostly gel foods and frozen. When I had the mystery illness in my tanks I tried adding several Seachem products (metroplex, Kanaplex with Focus ) at times to my Soilent Green and adding some Garlic to make the taste more favourable to my fish food. No luck however I believe that I left this too late as I couldn't entice them too eat. Its tuff when you don't know what you are dealing with and have no Aquatic Vets available.

I am not a vet however if I had only flake medications and other treatments did not work I would grind to a real fine powder and add to gel food. Pristine water is a must as well as lowering the water level in your tank to make the fish more comfortable.

Good luck

KlondikeGoldfish and Justintime like this.
  7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

bad ub the sense not a good food for floaty fish and bad in the sense that they lack good nutrition for the fish. I have become a big believer in soft wet foods like the gel foods on the market today.

orangecrush likes this.
  8. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I also don't like feeding flake foods and I also don't like throwing a crap load of medications at something I don't know what I'm treating. If I have a floaty fish, first thing I do is stop feeding, step up my WC, and start feeding green foods such as peas, spinach,kale, etc., Then I keep them on a diet of gel food and good quality sinking pellets that have been softened BUT NOT soaked to point of nutrient loss. Some fish will still float on this diet, in which case you will want to try a different pellet.

I feel that water quality, stocking levels, and diet are probably the three most important things to Goldfish health.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

9. Buttercup

Buttercup Member

I have 2 orandas that float with Hikari sinking pellets. None of my ryukins or fantails do. I agree with water quality being an issue with fancies. I’m running two Eheim 2217’s, an AquaClear 110, and a large sponge filter in my 75g, yet large weekly water changes are the key for good water quality IMO. The orandas are fine with repashy, frozen shrimp etc, and greens, but I’m wondering if that’s enough. They are still young, only about 3 inches, not including tails. Will they do well with gel food as a daily staple?

10. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

A lot of people only feed gel food. I still like to feed a good quality sinking pellet as I like to feed a variety of foods. If this was my floaty fish, I would try switching to to another sinking pellet for a month or so and see how she does. Some fish do better on some pellets than others and some can't tolerate them at all.

Good luck and happy holidays, Jim.

11. Buttercup

Buttercup Member

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

12. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

And another that says floating on Hikari. Gel food does help some floaters, but floating seems to be the worst in Orandas... And sometimes there's nothing you can do.

13. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

So does any body have any experience with pea body’s medicated flakes? Do they work?

14. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

image.jpg Unless anyone knows exactly what this is and exactly how to treat it

15. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Looks like a skin growth. Definitely does not look treatable. Not with flakes anyway. Looks like the primary treatment would consist of physical removal. Absolutely possible (I've done it a few times) but also NOT RECOMMENDED. If the fish doesn't seem to notice it and the size doesn't get huge, I say leave it. Please don't throw meds at the fish. They're unlikely to help. I used their Fenbendazole flakes when I had a fish that wasn't as chubby as I liked though he ate well. Seemed to work as he did begin to gain weight after the treatment. Prazi flakes aren't really useful for flukes as the flukes must ingest the prazi, not the fish. The other internal and external parasites goldfish get are more effectively treated with other meds.

16. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Thanks there’s an answer I was looking for and it hasn’t gotten any bigger in along time n he acts normal

17. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

looks like something my fish had. She had a tumor for around 2 and a half years. I say HAD because it fell off. It wasnt a small tumor either. My fish didnt even know it was there either. She went about her day like nothing was wrong. When I introduced a nippy shubunkin to her he nipped a piece off and it didnt bleed which made me think it was just a fatty tumor. And then when I moved her to my 90 gallon tank it just kept falling and now its gone. The fish has turned all white with age ( shes almost 6 years old) and still probably doesnt know she had it.