Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Penn plax cascade 1000

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Justintime, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

hello I bought this canister filter about four months ago I got a really good deal on it and it has kept my 36 gallon bow front clear and clean it filters the water very well and has valves to adjust your flow which I wish all canister filters had it also has an adjustable intake tube so you can place your intake half way down or all the way to the bottom (this is where I like mine set) it came with media which I only use the floss and sponge I use crushed coral and lava rock instead of the carbon n bio balls that came with it, but it did come with free media, now my first real complaint is the rubber gasket that connects the power head too the top basket is a pain to line up when first installed and you can’t be sure if it’s connected right until it’s running i am also not real fond of the couplings that connect the hoses and valves to the filter their cheaply made and you have to be very careful not to over tighten and make sure you push the hose and valve into the filter while tightening the couplings or it will stretch the plastic and come apart I am also not happy with how much of a pain it is to line up the trays I have two other canister filters and they are easy maintenance so I do have something to compare it to and the impeller is a mess the gasket that goes on the cap to hold it in place wants to stretch n not go in to place and after cleaning the assembly it is a pain to line back up and the groomers on either end of the shaft stretch and fall off ,it’s primer you have too pump this thing like your trying to break it to get it primed and it’s still hit or miss getting all the air out of the lineand it’s the loudest filter I own but it does a great job at keeping my tank pristine

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018