Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

PetSmart Oranda 6 Month Growth

Discussion in 'Goldfish Grooming' started by Cheyenne B., Oct 26, 2017.

1. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

22812986_1667675203300255_190911261_o.jpg K2.jpg K3.jpg K4.jpg K5.jpg

The first photo is from April 4th, when I first brought him home. He was tiny! Yesterday, as I was doing a water change, I picked him up and snapped a photo. I went back and looked at his growth and couldn't believe it. Since you see your fish everyday, it's hard to see how much they've grown until you look back at photos. His name is Knight the Big Headed Butt Head, he weighs just over a pound and is one of the meanest fish I have. lol. He has quite the personality. Out of all of my goldfish, he only gets along with one of them.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    calicomj, Carolann and El Djago like this.
  2. Carolann

Carolann Member

Wow certainly done some growing , looks good you must be pleased.

Cheyenne B. likes this.
  3. Cheyenne B.

Very, I never thought he'd grow so fast. If only he wasn't so mean :)

4. Carolann

Carolann Member

I just recently bought a little veil tail couldn't resist it ,its all metallic white but on top of its head it has a red dot with a black centre really hoping it makes it as I think it will look lovely when it gets bigger. called it Spot.

5. Cheyenne B.

Also, I forgot to mention, he is in a 40 gallon breeder with a young male oranda. He gets 80% weekly water changes and is fed a combination of Repashy Solient Green, Super Gold, Jappies Everyday Balance, and Growth Recipe. He is fed twice per day.

6. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Man that's a ton of growth. Lol he's awesome! I have one mean fish too. Male. Pushes around even other males.

7. Cheyenne B.

Thanks! He pushes other males around too, except Comet, that's what is so weird. He's an oranda too but very young, maybe he knows he's a baby.

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

great job with him. I think I am going to eat the same food that you feed him, may be I start growing again lol....

9. Cheyenne B.

Oh, Joe, lol. He eats very well, it's true. Although, he doesn't try to take food away from others, which is weird, even though he is mean. He also swims like a shark, which is one of the reasons he is my dad's favorite :rolleyes:

10. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Ryukin have a reputation for being nippy and bullies. However, earlier this year I was given a young Oranda, which I named PuYi, that was harassing his tank mates. I have to keep PuYi with my Ryukin because they are the only ones that can keep him in check and NOT harm him. I tried to add a couple of new fish to the tub and within 10 minutes, PuYi was chasing and nipping so I had to remove them.

So when people say that Ryukin are aggressive, I just say that there are aggressive fish of all types, just as there are aggressive dogs and people of all types and you can't stereotype them.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

11. Cheyenne B.

Exactly, I have two Ryukin, neither are aggressive. He actually harasses them. He pushes them into ornaments, nips at them, chases them away from his area of the tank, he is extremely possessive of his home, and sometimes pushes them into the filter intake. But he doesn't with Comet, they all have different personalities. I have to say though, my butterfly telescopes are the most relaxed goldfish I've ever encountered.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  12. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

I have two semi aggressive fish. One mainly gets mean around feeding other wise he is fine. and the other is a tiny 5 month old 2.5 inch baby that will chase his 7 inch mother around everywhere! its so weird though I recently noticed breeding stars on him so he is the youngest fish ever that I could tell that was a male.

Cheyenne B. likes this.
  13. Cheyenne B.

That's what is so weird! Knight isn't aggressive at feeding time, that's the only time he isn't o_O He is a weird, weird fish.

14. Mr.Oranda

Mr.Oranda New Member

I have a red oranda and he looks exactly like yours in the first picture. This gives me hope! He looks awesome. :) Although I've had mine a few months he hasn't grown near as much as yours has, I'm going to try adding Repashy Super Gold to his diet and see what happens!

15. calicomj

I looked up Jappies fish food. Aside from being hideously expensive... It really doesn't look all that special. Lots of filler ingredients and just fancy packaging and marketing.

16. Cheyenne B.

That's your opinion, I respect that. But I've also been a customer since the start. It works, I know Jasper. It lasts a pretty long time as well. They all go crazy for it. They get that once per day along with Repashy Super Gold or Solient Green. Proof is in the pudding, as he says. It's also not that expensive, that's in Canadian dollars, not US.

17. Cheyenne B.

Repashy is excellent! I never thought he'd grow as much as he has either and he's still going!

18. calicomj

It's about $14 for about 5 ounces plus a shipping fee of an additional $8.50. This comes out to about $22 for only 5 ounces of food. I cannot find a pellet that costs more than these actually. I definitely can't afford that with about 30 fish. Wouldn't last long AT ALL and I would quickly break.

Anyway I'm glad it works for you. He's a lovely fish.