Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Petsmart sale

Discussion in 'Discount Corner' started by Sad_panda, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Sad_panda

Sad_panda Active Member

Petsmart is having their $1 per gallon sale. at least for where I am.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Brabant, Fishheadz and CaliGold like this.
  2. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Petsmart has a dollar per gallon sale?

3. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

CaliGold likes this.
  4. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Mmm.. I was there Sunday to pick up a 20 gallon but they didnt have a discount so i went to Petco.. Are we sure?

5. small_ranchu

I just bought 2 tanks for myself. Perhaps, you might have to buy online. Online price is still showing at discount price.

6. small_ranchu

There you go.. :) :)

uploadfromtaptalk1452338567199.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Lukass and CaliGold like this.
  7. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

I picked up a 55-gallon from Petco. Had a $10 coupon on top of the $1 per gallon sale so it was a very sweat deal.

8. alorindanya12

alorindanya12 Active Member

I was at Petco two days ago and saw the $1 per gallon sale, VERY tempting, but as I just got my first tank 3 months ago, I want to see how I do with it before I buy another tank. I think Petsmart will have their sale in October, so it gives me a few more months to feel comfortable as a fish owner.

9. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

From what other members of the forums have said, it seems that Petsmart and Petco have these sales roughly once a quarter each. So you should be able to get the deals at any season of the year that you'd like to upgrade, more or less.

Lukass likes this.
  10. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

The stores actually lose money on these if the customer buys only the tank. They hope those who bought the tanks come back and buy filters/fish, etc. I was told by a pet store owner that the wholesale price for the 40B and 55 gallon tanks are higher than $1 per gallon.

Lukass likes this.
  11. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Heh, very true that few people just buy the tank when they go in. I went and saw wheat germ hikari saki and got one. Guilty o_O

12. alorindanya12

alorindanya12 Active Member

Is it true that Petsmart has this sale right now? I am going there tomorrow for dog food. I know Petco has their $1 gallon sale going on until 1/23/16, but when does Petsmart's sale go through?

13. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

I assure you that these stores do not lose money on aquariums during these sales, they may not turn as large of a profit, but they're still turning a profit. Normal markup for retail products is usually in the 200-400%+ range. They are not going to sale them to the public cheaper than what they have invested in them, that would be losing money. These stores didn't get where they are by making poor business decisions like losing money on products. While a 55g may run $100 normally($20+400%=$100), $55 is still more than what they have invested in them, which is likely in the $10-$20 range($11+400%=$55). Even if they have to pay $20 each, that's still a 175% ($35) markup. ($20+175%=$55)
    They are able to get them at a much lower price, because they are buying them at bulk wholesale rates (they may order 5,000 at a time, and then distribute them to all their stores).

A family ran ma & pa pet store, does not have the buying power of a national chain store. And as a result will never be able to get as good of a wholesale price, as a national chain, as they may only order 4 or 5 at a time.

Here's a completely unrelated example of retail markup; McDonald's spends about .30-.40¢ on all the stuff to make 1 Big Mac, however, they charge you like $4.00 for it. Now that doesn't equal a $$3.60 - 3.70 profit, they also have to pay the employee that cooked it, the employee that assembled it, the employee that hands it to you, the manager who oversees operations, electric, gas, water, dumpster, grease collection, etc. All said and done, they likely make about $1.00- 1.50 profit on each Big Mac. They don't have to spend a lot on ingredients for each Big Mac, because they buy them in mass bulk wholesale quantities, or manufacture the ingredients themself (such as their meat patties).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  14. Sad_panda

Sad_panda Active Member

I know I did that one week with the petsmart and got a 40- gallon for 30 and tax

Lou likes this.
  15. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

That is the way to do it.

On a related note, tractor supply is putting the 110 gal tub on sale this week for $65. Thinking about getting a couple.

16. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

That's not exactly true. Business is more complicated that that. Losing money on the sale of one item to increase sales of another item or service is a strategy used all the time. You have to weigh the lost profits from one item against the potential revenue increases in sales other ways. It's like any sale, there's a tipping point in quantity versus cost that determines if the price drop is worth it or not. If you drop the price by 50% and drive an increase in sales for the item by 50% then you're only making 75% of what you would have if you had just left the price the same. To even break even on a 50% price cut you have to get at least a 100% increase in sales. When you have add on items or value add services however the deal becomes a lot different.

If you sell heaters, fish, food, lights, filters, etc that go with setting up a new tank to enough people who bought those tanks that you sold at a loss you can drive a huge increase in profits. That's the logic people are saying is behind these sales. This is seen in a huge number of industries, sell the hardware at a loss or at cost and sell the support contracts with a huge profit margin along with the hardware. Car dealerships often follow this model now, they sell cars at little or no profit (in some cases at a small loss even) in order to get recurring revenue from customers who bought their car at the dealership using their maintenance department.

We stopped and bought two of them (all they had) Saturday because we drove past a TSC on the way to pick up an 8 foot stock pond we bought on craigslist.

Lou likes this.
  17. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

So I went to the local TSC and also got two (that is what they got) but at an even lower price. Somehow they had the sales stickers on them ($59.99) from last year (I also got two during last year's sale at that time) so they sold to me for $59.99 each.

18. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

Nice! Yeah we paid $65 dollars for ours. We'll do ship to store a little later this spring because we plan to get eight total. I just couldn't see not stopping to see how many they might have in stock when we drove right past it with the truck on the way to get the pond.

You have any thoughts or experience with the 300 gallon RubberMaid *round stock tank? We are looking for a six foot stock tank for the center of the greenhouse we're going to build. We're doing the 110s around the outside with 20 gallon cement mixing tubs for fry above them, then want to do with round tank in the center. We kind of like the fact the RubberMaid has flat edges on two of the sides for maneuvering around.

19. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Yes, I actually have two 300-gal rubbermaid stock tanks. One is being used as the filter for my 20,000 koi pond and another as a lily pond (because my ducks would eat the lily pads in ponds). Mines are about 15 years old and they have been bullet-proof. They are easy to move around. They were in my basements for years for wintering fish and raising ducklings but now they have been outside.

However, it is a big however, it seems that the rubbermaid tanks made recently crack much more often than the old ones. If you go to TSC website and read reviews, you will find those. I have personally seen cracked Rubbermaid stock tank in the local TSC as warranty claims. that is why I have switched to the TuffStuff.

The only weakness in the TuffStuff (110-gal or larger) is that plug. It will leak if you do not do anything. Between brass and that rubbery material, eventually there will be a leak. They are designed as stock tank so a little seep is no problem. For us, it is. So take out the plug, wrap Teflon tape around it, tighten it, before filling with water.

About concrete mixing tubs. There are three grades, if you will. The stuff sold in HD is not good, the better ones are sold in Menards (Supertub) but they are still not good enough mainly because they are made of "hard" brittle and thin plastic (PVC for HD or poly for Lowes and HD Poly for Menards). Believe it or not, TuffStuff has a mixing tub made of the same material as the stock tanks so they are thicker and more flexible than the others. They are only a couple dollars more than the lesser tubs. I personally have not used these but have seen them in the store. I cannot see a way to destroy these.

Actually, I would suggest you take a look at the 40-gallon TuffStuff in TSC. When on sale, they are $27 and they really give the 40B aquarium a run for the money if there is no need for side view. They are only 13" tall so lots of surface area. I have three of these and they are really Tuff Stuff. Cannot destroy them and have many uses in the garden as well.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  20. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I worked at a pet shop in the 80's and the markup was 5X