Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

pH issues, please help!!!

Discussion in 'Water Maintainence' started by NewYorkGold, Jan 21, 2016.

1. NewYorkGold

NewYorkGold Member

I have a bare tank with a hang on the back filter, all parameter are in check, but my pH is reading 8.0 in the tank and is coming out of my tap at 7.2. If decorations or gravel aren't responsible for changing the pH, what could be? Water changes are becoming stressful on my fish.... Everything seems fine the night of my water change and then the next day, I have fish bottom sitting and gasping for air.

2. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

Mine comes out of my tap at 7.6, and then goes up to 8.0 in the tank, but I don't have any trouble with the fish gasping. We use a water softener and I wonder if that is the reason for the pH changing, but it has never seemed to bother my fish. Do you have lots of surface agitation?

3. NewYorkGold

NewYorkGold Member

Yes. I have great surface agitation. It's just throwing me off. I've never had a problem and now all my fish are stressing out as soon as the pH starts to go back up....

4. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Is there anything else that might have changed about the tap water itself? Sometimes heavy storms can cause all kinds of debris and minerals to get flushed through the city's water supply. I don't know if that in conjunction with the PH might have an effect. Or if the PH difference might be caused by that. What was the PH of the tap water in the past? Was it always 7.2? If so, I can't imagine that being the source of what's bothering the fish now...

5. NewYorkGold

NewYorkGold Member

I first tested it about 2 months ago, that's what it tested then too. I have goldfish tanks. All bare tanks, good parameters and surface agitation, all are 40 breeder tanks or tubs. All of my tanks are having the same problem mostly affecting the fish the first two days after a water change. I treat my water with prime and match the temperature within 2 degrees of the original tank water. I've been doing 50% once a week.

6. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

PH of tap water often rises as Co2 off gasses. Put some tap water in a bucket and check the PH after a day or two, put a bubbler or water pump in another bucket of water to agitate it and check that as well. You may have to age your water before changing with one of these two methods in order to equalize the PH.

7. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

You can handle this most simply by using smaller, more frequent water changes. 10% daily is roughly equivalent to 50% weekly, as is 20% every other day. These will not significantly change the pH in your tank.

8. NewYorkGold

NewYorkGold Member

Do you guys think it may help to add almond leaves or driftwood? Could this stabilize the pH?

9. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

No. Just use small water changes or age your water.

10. NewYorkGold

NewYorkGold Member

Okay thank you!