Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Plants and Salt?

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by Dave, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Dave

Dave Active Member

So I'm finally making the leap to live plants. My tank has been healthy and thriving, with the exception of a "head stander", for some time now. I got an Amazon Sword and a couple different Anubias variants. My question is, is it ok to continue using salt treatment with the new plants in place?

I would also like to know if there are any additives that I should use for the plants, or if they should be fairly self-sufficient with the waste from the fish?

Thanks as always for your advice.

-Dave

2. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

Why are you using salt now?

3. Dave

Dave Active Member

Used it for a while to help treat some fin damage on a ryukin. I continued use because I read it helped increase gill function and general health.

4. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

Really you only want to use salt for a specific reason. It is a phalacy that salt should be added to tank water to promote general health. Clean and pristine water coupled with good quality food is all it takes to promote general goldfish health. The normal length of a salt treatment should only be a couple of weeks. Salt is like any other medication. Overuse of salt can result in salt resistant strains of disease.

Salt is not good for plants. Anubias and thick cuticled plants can tolerate some exposure, but just like the goldfish, the plants are from bodies of fresh water, not salt water.

5. Dave

Dave Active Member

Awesome. Thanks so much for your help. Eliminating the salt treatment will certainly make my water changes go faster as well. Thanks again.

6. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

Agreed, plants and salt don't mix. For fin damage, try using Melafix instead, it is okay to use with plants, and is non-toxic. Also, you can put the Anubias in small pots with gravel, and that way, they can be removed for easier cleaning or if you want to treat the tank with salt.

7. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

Plants and salt wont work like has been said, but salt and algea(unless marine cultures) can be a bad combination aswell.

I do think maybe duckweed can stand a little salt, at least i am culturing some in Q at the moment.

8. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Over time java moss can adapt to salt.