Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Plants.

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Mimerz626, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

Ok so I think I’m ready to try to take a tiny step up from complete super newb to kinda newb. I have successfully maintained my 115 gal tank with ranchus, ryukins and fantails for just over a year now (Aside from my current rescue Norma Jean). Their tank mates are 1 bristle nose albino plec and a varying number of ghost shrimp. I currently bought this floaty moss thing and this other live plant to add to my tank. I wrote down the names on an paper that I left on the counter at the shop lol so great plan horrible follow through . I guess I have 2 questions. First is can any one ID what I have. And 2. What plants would you say are the best for my tank if I’d like to add a few more
    Thanks ! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surrealasm likes this.
  2. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

looks like a type of annubis plant which is very hardy. However remove it from that wrapping and glue to a piece of drift wood or lava rock. These types of plants do not like to have their roots buried

Mimerz626 likes this.
  4. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

Hi Joe! I’m sorry which plant? the moss one or the leaf one? I was told to make sure I kept the substrate for the leaf one is that not correct? The moss is wrapped loosely to the suction cups in the back

5. SandyBottom

SandyBottom Well-Known Member

Anubias is the leafy one and java moss is more than likely the other. Both of these can be attached to hardscape. Do not plant the anubias' horizontal root that the leaves emerge from. This will kill the plant.

Mimerz626 likes this.
  6. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

Ok thanks! I’ll try to find a drift wood piece that’s not to jagged. For the Anubis. Any recommendations for plants that are Hardy gold fish friendly/beneficial and can go in these things I bought? Also where do you recommend I buy? Is there a online company ? Seems the plants I got where clean but in reading more I saw all the stuff that can come in them now I’m nervous

7. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

[​IMG]

8. SandyBottom

Bucephalandra- but they are pricey. Mostly same care as anubias.
    Anubias -var pengolina,var petite,var. bonsai. var stardust. All variations of small anubias. Some are expensive.
    Most of these you can find on ebay, grown or sold in usa.
    Always quarantine plants or do a bleach dip or potassium permanganate dip. Then you won't have to worry about bringing anything in.

9. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

Thanks so much!

10. EOGoldfish

EOGoldfish New Member

I think that the leafy plant looks more like a cryptocoryne (crypt) than anubias. Does that name ring a bell to you?

11. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

Not off hand but honestly I was in such a rush with both boys I couldn’t tell you. I hate to be that lady with the kids holding up the line especially at holiday time.

12. SandyBottom

Petioles are too thick for crypt. I think it is anubias congensis or similar. Is there a horizontal root (rhizome) that the leaves and roots come out of?

13. Auguierz

Auguierz New Member

Other plants that you can try that work for me are Water wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) it's pretty quick growing, bushy and propagates very well from a single stalk. Hemigraphis colorata also seems to do very well in my tank with just simple LED lighting and adds some nice purple coloration. I've read though this is not a true aquatic plant, but three months and i've cut 3 portions from the original and they've rooted nicely into my substrate. The goldfish do nip at them, but there's no serious harm to the plant, just lots of floating leaf matter which i remove and dispose of properly.

14. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

It was vertical in the pot but as it grows it seems to want to go horizontally

15. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

Thank you I’ll look those up! Purple sounds awesome but does hemigraphis colorata have to be planted in substrate? My tank is fairly bare bottomed

17. Nali

Nali Member

I have had success with java fern. It works the same way with the horizontal stem and is fine even in cooler water. It is growing fine our tropical aquarium as well as my cooler goldfish one. Plus, the leaves are tough and or bitter so the goldies don't tear it apart and it doesn't clog the filter like some of the more tender plants.

18. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

Thanks! I’ll look those up too! I want a wall O plants lol

19. SandyBottom

Yup, that is anubias. Another good plant is african water fern bolbitis hedulotti. It also has a rhizome. Likes a bit more current. Not to be confused with bolbitis heteroclita or asian water fern. This is near impossible to grow.

Mimerz626 likes this.
  20. Mimerz626

Mimerz626 Active Member

Awesome thank you!!!!! I do have a decent current !