Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Please help, not sure what to do!

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Scifisarah, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

I am trying to do the best for my goldfish, but they continue to get worse despite my attempts. After I treated them with Quickcure for 6 days to cure them from the couple ich spots I saw, I put them back into their cycled tank, and noticed they had white edges to their fins and were sitting at the bottom and one of them was swimming very excitedly instead of its normal friendly coming to the front. I read online that white edges on fins means fungal fin infection. So I put them all back into their 10 gallon quarantine and have been treating with API Fungus Cure and doing 100% water changes every 24 hours. Last night was their third treatment of four. There has never been any improvement but this morning they are markedly worse. I am in tears over the black lionhead who looked fine last night. It is like his skin cracked open. on the top of his head and two spots underneath on his neck. Is this something infectious, or did the tiny bristlenose pleco attack him last night? Should I put the back into their tank or treat with something else if I have seen no improvement from the Fungus Cure? How should I help the apparent wounds on the lionhead? He of all three of the fish was the most healthy acting yesterday. I will be getting rid of the pleco today, just in case it was him. I feel sick and don't know what to do!

Attached Files:

2. Scifisarah

Okay, I found the pleco attacking the oranda's long tail, so I imagine it was him. He is out of the quarantine bin in a bucket and listed for free on Craigslist, although after he did this to my goldfish I could just about flush the little jerkface - but I won't. Do I finish the Fungus Cure treatment, or do something else now to help the lionhead?

3. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

It was just doing what plecos do - they are scavengers and will feed off of slime coat and damaged flesh of weak or injured fish - it is natural.
    This is why goldfish owners are always warned against plecos in the tank. Even healthy fancies can be targets becouse of their weak swimming abilities and tendency to bottom sit.

I would stop any medications at this point and let them rest a while in pristine (and pleco free) water.

Fishheadz likes this.
  4. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

If you were treating all the fish, why did you move them to a different tank? Was there home tank empty all that time? If so, your bacterial colony may have died off some creating some ammonia and nitrite spikes which further stressed the fish.

5. Scifisarah

I was worried that if I treated with the fungus cure or quick cure in the tank, it would completely kill off the filter bacteria and I did not want to start cycling completely over after I had gotten it set from taking from my FX5 media. I had two mystery snails left in the tank and put in a couple of soilent green chunks for them each day so there would still be food for the filter bacteria while the fish were away. Someone is picking up the pleco in 30 minutes, and the 3 goldfish are back in their tank.

6. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

If this is pleco bites then clean water and isolation is what is needed. Melafix wouldnt be bad too in the isolation. Pleco gotta go. Good luck to the pleco.

Fishheadz likes this.
  7. Scifisarah

Pleco is GONE! :D

I almost feel like the API Fungus Cure was burning them more than helping anything. Parts of their skin is dyed green and their eyes are a little cloudy and edges of fin still slightly whitish. They are in their 14 gallon biocube now. I added Seachem Prime, Seachem Stress Guard and a little Seachem Equilibrium powder to bring the GH up in case it is our softened water is bothering them. I will do a water test each morning for ammonia. I'll post am update when there is any change. I am not looking forward to my daughter getting home in 5 minutes and seeing her pitiful goldfish. The black lionhead Toothless looks awful with his wounds. I feel like I should get some sort of lame mommy award.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  8. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

it may also be a good idea to dim the lights, to reduce stress.

9. Scifisarah

Okay, turned lights out so they are just getting light from the window and I'll turn the moonlight on in a bit. They are all swimming around actively and wanting to eat so at least I can be thankful for that. I think I'll feed them just soilent green until they are recovered.