Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

POLL:How much time do you run your filter and air stone?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by pritish1, Feb 1, 2016.

?

How much time you run your filter and air stone?

1. 24hrs except for feeding time and wc

100.0%
  2. 12 hrs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Any specific time please specify in reply to this thread

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

Hi everyone i bought a sunsun hw-302 canister filter for my aquarium a month ago so wanted to take a poll on how much time should i run it before this i used to have internal power filter which i used to run from morning/evening 6:00-10:00 and i am following the same schedule with my canister and airstone. But after doing some research and some people pointing out to me it has come to my notice that canister filter should be run all the time except at time of doing water changes and feeding time. But one more thing coming in the way of running canister filter all the time is water flow which will stress out the fish for which i think i can use the spraybar supplied by the manufacturer. So please provide details like

Which type of filter you use?

Do you also use airstone?

And for how many hours do you keep them on & why?

For the benefit of new canister users like me and someone who will be shifting to canister or thinking of buying one please cast your vote.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  2. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Fluval 406 (canister for up to 100g - on my 55g - mechanical- coarse, fine, extra fine- chemical-carbon & zeolite- Biological - bio balls and Biomax)
    & Fluval FX5/FX6 (FX5 w/ FX6 motor/ canister for up to 400g- on my 140g Mechanical -Course, fine, Chemical, Carbon - Biological media, bio balls & bio max)
    1 air stone in the 55g, & 1 air stone and a 300 GPH in-tank UV in the 140g.
    I run these 24/7/365, they are only turned off for WC/Filter Cleaning, which equates to about 1-2 hours per week.
    I do not turn them off during feeding, though occasionally I will reduce the flow to 50% during feeding.
    I run them continually for 2 reasons, (1.) in so that the beneficial bacteria has a constant supply of Ammonia, & NitrIte to consume and convert to NitrAte. I know that these bacteria will grow & die off as needed by the system in which they are a part of, I don't want them to become starved, and start dying off. (In reality I have no idea how long it actually takes for the bacteria to start becoming deprived of their food source, and dying off,...however, why risk it?). (2.)Continual mechanical filtration of the water column, removing as much debris as possible.

The FX5/6 is around 925 GPH, over the course of 24 hours it should turn 22,200 Gallons. 925 GPH/140g = 6.6x turnover per hour.
    The 406 is around 383 GPH, over the course of 24 hours it should turn 9,192 Gallons. 383 GPH/55g = 6.9x turnover per hour.
    Turnover rate is important, you want to shoot for a minimum of 6x (water volume) turnover per hour. When choosing a canister filter for a goldfish aquarium,
    always get one that is rated for (at least) double the size of the aquarium in which you will be applying it to.

Though I will openly admit, I started out with a 5 gal bucket filter on my 55g, it was a bit difficult to get things set up just right, and I had continual issues with my home made setup.

I'm curious as to the size of your aquarium?

pritish1 likes this.
  3. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Any filter should be run 24 hrs. per day - if you turn them off for any length of time, you run the risk of the bacteria colony dying off.

Air can be run on and off how you like. - if you have plants, running air at night is beneficial as plants switch from taking up C02 to putting out C02, if the weather (and tank water) are getting warm, if you are overstocked, if you just like the look of bubbles, etc.

Kat, CaliGold and pritish1 like this.
  4. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

I was expecting this question to come up for quite a while so i am overstocking quite a lot by the standards of 10 gallon per fish rule which i got to know a month before i joined this forum and researched on the internet but here in my local pet stores no one tells us that we need 1 goldfish for 10 gallons of water so i am overstocking this tank from the time i.e. 14-15 years ago when i bought this tank that you see in my videos. But i dont know how till now i used to keep so many fishes in my aquarium for years together without doing this regular water changes that i do now before i used to do 100% water changes in 2-3 months time and my goldfish used to have so much long fins i dont know how they survived and thrived in those conditions. Will upload pics or video of those fish on my goldfish aquarium thread. By the way mine is 33 gallons tank. Canister having capacity of around 265 gallons.

5. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

so from today I am gonna run my canister for 24 hours except for feeding time and water changes. Let more votes come in guys & u can vote and reply for other kind of filters also.

6. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

I only shut down the filter while doing water change....

7. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Me too. And that's just because I don't want to have sand kicked up into my filter and impeller as a result of adding back the fresh water. :)

pritish1 likes this.
  8. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

Hey everyone i have attached the spraybar to the output of my canister and prepared it to run for 24 hours its going to be 11 pm in here and am gonna switch off the air stone the only thing which is bothering me is will my fish get rest in the night with filter running with spraybar which is placed inside water?

9. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

I wouldn't turn off anything, either filter or air stone. They will find their spot to rest. Don't worry.

10. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

I would personally keep them running all the time if your tank is very overstocked. But if you do want the airstone off at night, I would first turn your airstone off during the day and watch your fish. If they are gulping at the surface after an hour, you will know that the filter alone isn't giving them enough oxygen in the water. If you turn off the airstone only at night, you wouldn't be able to monitor their behavior. You don't want them to be suffocating in the dark while you aren't around. I personally do not have an airstone in my tanks, but I have spray bars that are angled upwards and the surface of the water is moved around a LOT. I have a Fluval FX5 on my 75 gallon tank with a home made spray bar. I have also drilled small holes in the back of the spray bar, so the current does not shoot out so strongly from the front, as to cause stress to the goldfish.

[​IMG]

Evil Kitty and pritish1 like this.
  11. SallImSayin

SallImSayin ya Samaki

I have waterfall filters, I don't always have air pumps in (I do now, but there were times when I didn't). I keep them on 24/7. I turned my air pump off the other night for the first time in months, in one of my tanks..then turned it back on in the morning. The tank has great water movement from the filter and my fish never gulp for air. The fact that I have my 'tank' than fish at this point helps.

I've never turned my filters off (obviously, outside of cleaning or moving the tanks).

pritish1 likes this.
  12. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

I have also angled my spray bar upward but i have positioned it along the width of the tank.
    And today after running my canister for all the time except for feeding time when i switched on my aquarium lights in the evening it was looking crystal clear which made me so happy. And seems like my fishes also adjusted a little bit to flow but in the night or during their resting time now i dont see them seating or sleeping at one place.

One more thing i would like to ask here is when should i clean my canister filter? i have cleaned it this sunday i.e. after 1 month of installing the canister.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  13. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

14. Scifisarah

You seem very concerned about your fish getting pushed around by the current. Did you make your own spray bar, or buy one? If you make your own, you can reduce the pressure coming out, by adding more holes. Imagine if your spray bar only had two holes - the water would be blasting out of the two holes with lots of pressure. The more holes you add, the less pressure there will be coming out of each individual hole. It would also be a good idea to have the spray bar be the length of your tank instead of just the width. That way you have space to add more holes and the water coming out of each individual hole would not be pushing so hard. If you have a short spray bar with fewer holes, the water coming out will have higher pressure.

Fishheadz and pritish1 like this.
  15. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Filters don't come with an on and off switch for a reason...

16. Silverphish

Silverphish Active Member

I run my filter at all times, except when I do a 100% water change, or for maintenance. I've wedged thick filter floss across the outflow so the current does not bother them too much during feeding.

The air stone is never off. When I do a 100% water change, I move the fish to a 5 gal bucket and put the air stone in with them.

pritish1 likes this.
  17. Scifisarah

Hah, I actually added a lighted on/off switch to mine from Lowe's. I got sick of unplugging it for water changes and when feeding smaller pellets that would get sucked into the filter. Call me lazy, but I love it.

TwistedNerve likes this.
  18. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

Hi scifisarah the spraybars came with my canister. I have changed its position along the length of the tank and attached the two spraybars provided by the manufacturer together now the flow seems quite more comfortable for my fishes. One more thing i noticed after attaching the spraybars is that now big particles dont get easily sucked up by the canister.
    No aquarium accessories come with on off switch :)

19. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

This video shows my single spraybar along the width of my aquarium

This video shows my dual spraybars along the length

20. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

My lights do...

Fishheadz likes this.