Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

POLL:How much time do you run your filter and air stone?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by pritish1, Feb 1, 2016.

?

How much time you run your filter and air stone?

1. 24hrs except for feeding time and wc

100.0%
  2. 12 hrs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Any specific time please specify in reply to this thread

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

Yeah, with the gentler current, heavier stuff does tend to settle at the bottom. I use a gravel vacuum and long thick hose for doing big water changes, but I also do a quick clean with an air hose on a piece of clothes hanger that I rigged up. It doesn't suck out too much water, but lets me clean up all the poop and food chunks on the bottom quickly and easier to handle. I think you could even angle it a bit more upward to get more surface movement. I put mine up as much as possible, as long as it isn't shooting water out of the tank. :)

Attached Files:

pritish1 likes this.
  2. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

*when your fish get larger, this may not work, as their poo will most likely be larger diameter than air tubing. My fish produce waste that is about the (exterior) diameter of the tubing itself.
    I honestly don't worry about 3 or 4 pieces of waste on the bottom of the aquarium, most usually the fish have eaten it by morning. I know that sounds gross, but, goldfish are scavengers, they will eat just about anything. Yes, my goldfish clean up after themselves. Do not think for a second that my fish are underfed, they get 2 - 3 meals a day.

pritish1 likes this.
  3. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

Hah, well at least I have that to look forward to. They did have some big poops the other night, and I had fun grossing out my husband. I was like, "Hey, that looks just like a hotdog. Hey, that's what we can have for dinner tonight!" :p

4. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

Hey fishheadz i also noticed that my fish after eating food scaveng their own poop and throw it out from their mouth in smaller pieces which are then sucked up by the canister and my base is also clean now so my goldies are also helping in cleaning up :)

Fishheadz likes this.
  5. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

I've seen my fish do this also, spitting it back out, which breaks it down into smaller pieces, which the filter is then able to suck up. But, I've also witnessed them consume it.

pritish1 likes this.
  6. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

55 gal run a top fin 75 HOB and a large sponge filter that acts as my bubbler also.

29 gal top fin HOB 30 plus a med sponge filter

20 gal quarantine tank med sponge filter

My 100 gal stock tank will be set up with multiple large sponge filters haven't tried this out yet.

pritish1 likes this.
  7. Evil Kitty

Evil Kitty Active Member

Are we meant to turn of the filter doing feeding time because the filter could suck up the food?

8. Chris1251

Chris1251 Active Member

Chris here... The only time my air stone and filter are off is for a water change or filter maintenance... Otherwise it's on at all times....

pritish1 and Evil Kitty like this.
  9. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

All of my filters, indoor and outdoor are air driven, and they run 24/7.

Jim.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    pritish1 likes this.
  10. Karthik

Karthik Active Member

Filters are on 24/7. Only during water change do I turn them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pritish1 likes this.
  11. Pole04

Pole04 Active Member

Something to keep in mind for planted tanks is that your plants are releasing CO2 at night. Turning off air stones at night can be dangerous to say the least.

My filters only turn off when I am doing water changes. Air stones/sponges stay on 24/7

KimA., pritish1 and Karthik like this.
  12. PHorst

PHorst Active Member

My goldies are in a 75 gallon with a 40 gallon sump and an Eheim Classic 600. I have a spraybar that returns water from the Eheim and a pretty powerful water return from the sump. I've angled the return from the sump so that the spray bar and return provide a LOT of surface agitation. Since the tank is overstocked (waiting for my outdoor pond to be completed), I do large water changes every other day. Both filtration systems run 24/7/365 except for water changes. I don't turn off filtration to feed.

The fish find food quickly, and they also find places to rest just fine.

pritish1 and Karthik like this.
  13. tObi

tObi Well-Known Member

24/7

Joshua's golds and pritish1 like this.
  14. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Filters, all the time. I don't use airstones.

Joshua's golds, Karthik and pritish1 like this.