Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Pond covered in snow..

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by Faebinder, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Well this oughta be interesting. 8 inches of snow.

I went and cleared some off the pond surface.

Attached Files:

Lukass likes this.
  2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Is your pond iced over? If not and you have enough snow in there to turn the water to slush, the fish are at 32F. I've known people in a climate like yours to lose all of their fish to slush. I hope that's not your situation.

3. Faebinder

I hope your right but the tank heater is in there and it's working I'm thinking. When the snow stops tonight I'm gonna remove the snow off the pond.

4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

That's a relief.

5. Faebinder

I'm glad we don't get many of these otherwise I can see the benefit of a pond breather

6. Faebinder

I cleared some of the snow again. The waterfall and filter were running under the snow and the waterfall still is but the filter shower is free of snow now. Aerator is functioning. It has been an interesting 3 days.

7. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Most people in colder climates turn off their showers and bypass the waterfall to an in-pond return, as those two things can cool the water even more than the ambient temperature. Also, a waterfall can freeze in a way that might re-route the flowing water to a spot outside of the pond, causing it to empty.

thePhysicist likes this.
  8. Faebinder

It was the sponge filter shower and the waterfall that really kept the holes open. The aerator and the tank heater were ok but when it iced well they didn't keep a hole. I'm thinking I may need to get a breather next winter and turn off the showers and falls.

9. CC11

CC11 Active Member

While I don't live in a cold environment I love a great forum that deals with this every year many of the people are switching if they can to running water to melt the ice like a waterfall or pond stream pond situations. Water falls which you stated can freeze in odd ways and divert water however it's benefit is keeping open spaces which helps with gas exchange. In addition it is suggested to keep the pond topped up so that the water level isn't below the ice shelf. This enhances melting and helps stop large sheets of ice dropping in the pond. Many also love their pond breathers but in Canada worry that they will be over run by the ice. It's the Canadians that are most interested in cleaning ice off their ponds asap. Find it fascinating like horse owners having special grips on their shoes so the black ice causes them fewer problems.

10. Faebinder

I'm excited... we got a 40-50 F average 3 days coming up. I can move some of my new fish to the pond. Finally done with buckets of water changes. :rolleyes: You indoor tank keepers are insane IMO.

thePhysicist likes this.
  11. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

That's what the Python gravel cleaner is for: completely takes the bucket out of the water changing routine ;)

thePhysicist likes this.
  12. Faebinder

I don't have a faucet or sink near me in the basement except the one in the backyard (which is frozen in the winter now) so I cant use one of those.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  13. Faebinder

Winter has been harsh on some of the fish. This one blue oranda I got tore it's back fin and has atiny ulcer at its the mid base of the back fin.

Brought it in. Not a good first winter for me so far.

14. CC11

CC11 Active Member

Sorry to read wishing you and your fish the best. You have some extreme weather and it's very unpredictable

15. Faebinder

YES!!!! My blue developed internal infection coming out of the cold pond. Ken's Food saved the day (nick of time too cause I ordered Baytril online from Australia, and was planning on injecting the fish.

Angel Plus Medicated flakes were untouched. It didn't like the sinking sticks but took the slow sinking pellets with tetracycline relatively well after a week of me tossing sticks of metronidazole.

Go Ken's Food!