Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Pot scrubbers?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by GoldenMcNewbie, Jan 28, 2016.

1. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

I just bought plastic pot scrubbers from family dollar and was wondering if they would be good for filtration. They had no soapy smells but they did have the smell of plastic, so did my canister filter when I first bought it. Will it be good? I know buoyancy is a problem.

Attached Files:

2. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

I buy out my local Family dollar all the time. $1 for 6 pack. I use them in many filters: 3 gallon bucket filter, overhead sump trickle filter, and various pond filters using 5 gallon and even 55 gallon drums. There are a few websites that rank the surface area of various media and the pot scrubber ranked pretty high, higher than bio-balls per unit volume, for example.

It is an excellent media and super easy to clean. Here is a pic I posted earlier about what goes into a 3-gallon bucket filter.
    [​IMG]

3. GoldenMcNewbie

I was just worried about the smell when you first open it, I bet it goes away when fish water runs through it.

4. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    GoldenMcNewbie and Faebinder like this.
  5. GoldenMcNewbie

Thank you.

6. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

What is the lava rock for?

7. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

I do believe it's just another medium for beneficial bacteria to grow/colonize on.

Joshua's golds likes this.
  8. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Right, also it serves as some weight to hold all the lighter media in place. The lava rocks go to the top of the filter.

9. Joshua's golds

Oh ok.... Gotcha now

Lou likes this.
  10. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

A filter like that has a lot of media (3 - gallon volume) and capacity than many canister filters. Airlifts can move deceivingly amount of water. With a good air pump and decent size lift tube (I use 1.5" tube), there is quite bit of flow that I have tested and detailed in another thread. Very energy efficient and effective.

When it comes to cleaning time, all I do is to dump everything into that bus pan, put some tank water in it, dump the dirty water, and put everything back in place.

11. Joshua's golds

@Lou, Very nice and do u just place that in pond or tub just like that with no cover (Im assuming the rocks act as the cover)

12. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Right, directly no cover. So I put the lift tube in the center of the bucket. Put some Lava rock (bigger ones so they are bigger than the 3/8" holes in the lift tube) around it so it is kind of stable, then I stuff all the pot scrubbers and what not in there, top off with another layer of lava rocks.

In your tub thread, I was going to suggest one of these plus a sponge filter.

13. Joshua's golds

I like the idea.... I was contemplating making one out of he big kitty litter canisters I get my cat litter in but was wondering how to keep everything in there if I cut the top off to get Media in there.... I think I can make it work after seeing this

14. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Since your tank is 24" deep, you can use a taller bucket so it can even more filtering capacity. If your kitty litter box is bigger , then it is good. Or you can grab a 5 gallon bucket, I use the 5-gal bucket version in my small pond outside.

I use the 3-gal version in the Tuff Stuff 110 gal because it is only 18" deep.

15. Aquayne

Aquayne Active Member

you can unroll the pot scrubbers. They are actually tubes like socks. I used them in a cichlid tank sump once. I unrolled them and put in a few marbles to make them sink. I just did a few when I realized letting them float makes it easier to clean out the mulm on the bottom of the sump.