Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Prime does it last longer than 48hrs

Discussion in 'Water Maintainence' started by CC11, Dec 22, 2015.

1. CC11

CC11 Active Member

Hi I set up my current aquarium mid October LFS advised to use Prime. No complaints about the product. Just wondering if it lasts longer than 48 hours as all readings for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate are 0 done weekly prior to water change 50% to 70%. I included allot of the the old aquarium media to bring across bacteria and it is planted. There is diatoms present which I thought indicated ammonia was present but no ammonia reading. It is concerning me a bit that I am getting 0 for a n n. PH is 7.4. and doesn't change. Tape water is 0 for ammonia. API fresh water master test kit used.

2. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

I've been using Seachem Prime in my tank for a long time, and I normally start getting readings of nitrates again a day or two after a water change (which is when I add Prime). If the tank is properly cycled, you should always be getting readings of 0 ppm for ammonia and nitrite. Nitrate is the only thing that should be gradually increasing.

Hopefully that helps?

3. CC11

CC11 Active Member

I did approximately 80% water change Saturday. Tested this morning it's Wednesday here 0 all round. If it wasn't for the ph test 7.4 I would think the test kit isn't working. It's approximately 45 to 47 gallon tank. I don't think it is completely cycled. Thanks for your information CaliGold.

4. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Prime only remains active for 48 hrs.