Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Prime vs AquaSafe

Discussion in 'Water Maintainence' started by DaveSumner, Dec 16, 2015.

1. DaveSumner

DaveSumner Member

Hello all,

So far I haven't seen any local vendors that sell Prime. So I've been using AquaSafe. I was wondering what the differences were if any? I would have to mail order Prime and I like to support my local b&m's as much as possible.

Thanks

2. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

They do similar things, however, they may achieve them a bit differently, Prime takes things to the next level.
    For Tetra AquaSafe, I only see that it states to remove chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals.
    It states nothing about doing anything to Ammonia (though this is within Chloramine), NitrIte, or NitrAte.
    I'm also led to believe by the wording "Enhances your fish's natural slime coat", means that there is substance within it to artificially add slime, to "enhance the natural slime coat".

Here's an excerpt from the Seachem Prime site;
    ...."Prime® also contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate inert and non-toxic. It is very important to understand how those two functions work together. All dechlorinators operate through a chemical process known as reduction. In this process, toxic dissolved chlorine gas (Cl2) is converted into non-toxic chloride ions (Cl-). The reduction process also breaks the bonds between chlorine and nitrogen atoms in the chloramine molecule (NH2Cl), freeing the chlorine atoms and replacing them with hydrogen (H) to create ammonia (NH3).

Typically, dechlorinators stop there, leaving an aquarium full of toxic ammonia!(for your bio filter to consume) Seachem takes the necessary next step by including an ammonia binder to detoxify the ammonia produced in the reduction process.

Be very careful when purchasing water conditioners. If your municipality includes chloramines in the water supplies, a standard sodium thiosulfate dechlorinator is not enough. Prime® promotes the natural production and restoration of the slime coat rather than relying on artificial or non-native slime compounds. A further bonus for the reef hobbyist—Prime® will not over activate protein skimmers.

1 single dose of prime will take care of up to 1PPM Ammonia. Up to a 5x dose can be used in an emergency. Prime will bind Ammonia, NitrIte, & NitrAte for up to 48 hrs, this is a longer time frame than any other dechlorinator on the market.

Also a 100mL bottle of TetraSafe only treats 200g $4.99 (PetSmart). While a 100mL bottle of Prime treats 1,000g $4.69(PetSmart) That's about .30 cheaper, for the same volume of liquid, but w/ Prime you'll get 800g more Water Changes! When you do the math, you'd have to spend $25 on Tetra AquaSafe to treat the same volume of water a $5 bottle of Prime will handle...Why waste money? I always buy the 500mL bottles, for 2 reasons, 1: to save even more of my hard earned money, 2: I have 200g of aquarium's that I do 90% weekly WC's on, I go through a lot of Prime. (about 8 caps per week).

To delve a bit deeper, (which will likely just raise more questions in your mind), Here are links to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Seachem Prime, and for Tetra Aqua Safe;

http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS/Prime.doc.pdf ( this one is kind of vague, not real helpful )
    http://www.socfc.org/SOHS/MSDS/Tetra Aqua Aqua Safe.pdf

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    small_ranchu likes this.
  3. DaveSumner

DaveSumner Member

Thank you so much for your answer. That was very informative and I think that Prime is definitely the top rated conditioner on the market. I'm going to switch over to it.

Fishheadz likes this.