Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Proper Fish Quarantine Procedures

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by GoldfishAdmin, Jan 14, 2009.

1. GoldfishAdmin

GoldfishAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Proper Fish Quarantine Procedures by Peter Ponzio(AGA)

Most people who keep koi are familiar with aeromonas and KHV, and have instituted proper fish quarantine procedures to ensure the safety of their existing fish stocks and new purchases. Unfortunately, it took an outbreak of KHV for folks to begin practicing safe fish introduction procedures.

The goldfish hobby has not experienced an outbreak of KHV, but aeromonas continues to represent a potential threat to fish health. The same precautions that apply to the quarantine of koi should apply to goldfish, as well. Most knowledgeable sources recommend that new fish be isolated from existing stocks for a period of one month, at a minimum. This requires a separate fish holding tank(s), as well as separate biological filtration for the holding tank. Usually, it is not advisable to medicate new fish, although some folks prefer a dip in a salt solution, and small amounts of salt(approximately 2 – 3 parts per thousand) to be added to the holding tank. For a simple method to determine the proper dosing for a tank or pond, please visit the Midwest Pond and Koi Society website at www.mpks.org, and consult Bob Passovoy’s article, which explains the relationship between container size and pounds of salt to be added. If, after having the fish for awhile, disease symptoms occur, you should treat the fish with the appropriate medications. IN some instances, it might be advisable to contact a vet specializing in fish, to help with a diagnosis. I personally isolate my fish from 1 – 3 months, depending on the available room that I have at any given point in time, and the general health and appearance of the fish.

If you suspect that a fish that you purchased from a dealer has a disease, it is worth your while to contact the dealer to see if anyone else has reported a problem with their fish. The dealer may be aware of problems that other people are facing with their fish, and may be able to offer assistance. In some cases, dealers may be unaware of problems, and discussing your concern with your dealer in a calm, helpful fashion is always preferable to starting an argument. Fish can, and do, get sick despite the best efforts of the dealer to maintain a healthy environment while the fish is in their care.

Some people purchase fish from a dealer, and immediately enter them in a fish show. While this may produce immediate results in the form of a trophy, in most cases, it is harmful to the long-term health of the fish, especially if the dealer receives the fish from an overseas locations, and trans-ships them to the show site without an intervening “break-inâ€￾ period. Unfortunately, this type of thing happens on a fairly regular basis, in most cases, because folks expect it from a breeder. If you’re really concerned about the long-term health of the fish, buy the first s few months before a show, and give it a chance to acclimate in its new environment before subjecting the fish to the stress of a fish show.
    Since most shows occur in the summer or fall, the spring is an ideal time to purchase new fish at a spring trade show, allow the fish to acclimate, and then show the fish at one of the fish shows later in the year. This practice allows the fish owner to quarantine and acclimate the fish, and decide if the fish is ready for the rigors of a fish show.

Good quarantine procedures are good for the hobby, breeders, and fish enthusiast. They allow the fish to acclimate at their own rate, and improve the chances of fish not only surviving, but thriving in their new environment.

2. bekko

bekko artisanal breeder

Aeromonas is ubiquitous and can probably be found in every tank, pond and fish at some level. A strong immune system lets the fish live comfortably in the presence of Aeromonas.

The quarantine tank is often an after-thought and provides second-rate accommodations. In reality, the quarantine tank should provide more space, better filtration and better management than the main tank.

-steve

3. Daryl

Daryl Beginning Breeder

Good subject for discussion. I find it particularly distressing to see so many fish bought from overseas shipping and placed directly into a show - and occasionally, resold following the show/win. This does a great disservice to those who breed, or at least keep fish. It is also very hard on the fish - resulting in serious complications or death. But that is a different direction for this topic.

ALL fish should be qted - regardless of where they were obtained - even if it is from your very best friend. A qt tank/tub is one of the most valuable things any fish keeper can have. It may be broken down between new acquisitions, but it is a good idea to always keep extra media/filters running on "healthy" tanks for use in an unexpected qt situation. (even fishless - a "fed" tank with filter/media works, well, too)

I like to keep new fish in a clear tank - no substrate, no deco, no nothing. The tank should be well lit - so the fish can be observed from every angle. Other than clean, well-balanced water, a new fish generally needs nothing.... or ONLY needs something done if there is an observed need for treatment. Until there is an identifiable need - nothing should be done. All qted fish do not have a calendar date that they are released from qt.... they are kept in qt until at least 2 weeks beyond the point where ALL problems have been observed, treated and RESOLVED. Even past that time, if there is no need to move a fish, combine the fish with others or change housing, the fish remains in the original quarters. If a keeper does not have the facilities to qt new fish, they probably would do well to reconsider getting new fish.

I have seen so many fish that are bought at shows - beautifully groomed for the show tank - that survive approximately 2 weeks beyond a show. I get sad calls, wondering what was done wrong, how the fish could have been saved or why things went wrong. They die, for they were never properly acclimated to the new food, water, tank, care, etc. Quarantine is a period of time that allows a fish to settle into new digs - and to take care of problems with it's own immunity system - while it is not being stressed with shipping, showing or other matters.

4. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

fish quarantine

I use a fish pathologist and have two aquatic veterinarians. You can find thru soil conservation dept. or extension services with a major college, help for serious medical problems . If a fish dies unexpectedly or a number start to die I have them posted usually the only cost is shipping. Why spend big bucks and loose a fish and then not know why or if something is contagious. That unfortunately is how I became the first documented and confirmed case of goldfish herpes viru in the states.. My vet and pathologist and I worked on that for one year before the first paper was published. I Iost a lot of fish then sacrificed hundreds more for research.

5. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

I find that the properly quarantined fish are often the ones at risk when they are added to an established pond population. The fish already present in the pond seem to have immunity against whatever pathogens or parasites are already there. It's the healthy, yet immunologically naive "new guys" that often get sick.

Rob

6. Corrie

Corrie professional fish sitter

"Usually, it is not advisable to medicate new fish"

Why not?

I assume that every fish I get, has everything.

When you can start the fish on meds that are not necessarily harmful to the fish,
    and give the fish some relief from shipping stress, why would you wait until the
    fish is showing some symptoms.

7. bodyboarder

bodyboarder Active Member

It seems not everyone follows the good advice!! Read my Blog here on the site regards my misadventure .. Lost most of my fish due to this, and improper hadling!!:badidea:
    I tried my best but 24hrs after getting them they were dead..

I have imported several times before and all i usually add to the water is salt!! If signs appear then I treat after Vet advice. (I had this, and a good friend i have here Help me) but to know avail..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  8. nikond70s

nikond70s Active Member

in my opinion. quarantine is not needed if you get your fish from a good realiable source. if the fish is sick then its sick. and your going to have to treat it. but why buy a sick fish right. thats why you buy healthy fish. and it helps if your tank is healthy. healthy tank equals healthy fish. i personally have never quarantine fish i just put them straight into the main tank. and never had a problem. i never test my water parameters either. i tell everything by how the water looks and smell. thats how i know if my water is good or bad.

but of course this is my opinion and how i do things. im sure most of you think im doing it wrong or what not. but i dont care. i been doing it for years and i do what works for me.

9. bodyboarder

bodyboarder Active Member

how do you know this when all you get from an importer are Lies??? I did not see a video of his installations until well after i had the problem!!
    And putting fish you buy into your main tanks without quarantine is a game of russian roulette!! sorry i feel very strongly about this these days!!:youtellme:

Just read my Blog NIKOND70S, here on the forum..

10. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

It's not a good practice. But I am not telling you to change your routine. But for whoever try to get an idea on quarantine, it is not a good way to follow.

11. suphi

suphi Ranchuist

I just read your blog, wow, that was quite a terrible experience. This is not how business should be conducted, at least not in the US.

I believe in the quarantine concept. No matter how reliable the source is bad things do happen, hence we need to protect our investment. I do not quarantine for weeks like most would, however, I favor treating all new fish with antibiotics/antiparasitics (just as people taking vaccination or antibiotic prophylaxis when going to certain foreign countries.). Quarantine is helpful against diseases that are not yet apparent but are waiting to manifest (parasites in cyst stage, internal infections, etc.)

12. TheTruth

TheTruth Professional Breeder

new fish

fish from oversees are run down,you should see how they are shipped ,they are so overcrowed its a wonder they live through the ordeal.ive been at wholesalers when the fish arrive some just float on the top of the water for a day.they will pick up any problem in the water.also if they are really top quality they are overbred and will only live a year or two.if i have to buy fish i try to get a breeding pair and try to get the babies.another problem is sometimes they outcross and you get crazy looking babies

13. TheTruth

new fish

to follow up on the breeding aspect you must keep 6 to 10 crazy looking babies and breed them into the parents the parents geans will start to line up,and you will get fish that look like the parents .keeping the parents alive is key.this takes patience but thats what goldfish keeping is all about

14. TheTruth

new fish

rob makes a good point.i have also seen the reverse over 30 yrs.you guarantine a fish .you put him in your tank and 2 wks later the fish you already have begin to die.for this reason i usually put the new fish with withfish i dont care to much about for several weeks and see what developes.i really hate to buy fish,especially now with all these bacteria problems

15. bekko

bekko artisanal breeder

Quarantine new fish for life. When space is a problem, spawn them and then get rid of the imports.

-steve

16. TheTruth

imported fish

steve makes a good point.2 yrs ago i bought a couple of fish for outcrossing my strain of ranchu .treated with everything and isolated for an entire winter i placed them in my pond in the spring.months later i started having bacteria problems and was loosing fish.i never had a bacteria problem like this.i tried many foods and medications and it seems the problem is under control but i believe its still in the water.it takes the fun out of fishkeeping to an extent.get the babies and get rid of the parents!

17. TheTruth

pet smart

every once in a while they have good fish ,yesterday i was in pet smart to buy dog food and saw nice ryukins ,high backs,deep red color,look healthy.usually they ship similar fish to their various outlets at the same time

18. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

disease

Right now there is a lot of work being done on the transmission of viruses to the offspring. Vertical transmission means the female passes the virus into the egg. When this happens the fry will be infected at some point in time. If it is not vertical then the female is passing the virus on the egg which can be cleansed before the fry or egg becomes infected. Money is needed for further research for goldfish disease studies. Quarantine for as long as possible and dry egg hand spawning may be the safest!

19. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

Imports AND LIFE

With the exception of Dandy Orandas imported goldfish live generally less than two years. I was surprized to see the BBR's that we got in this year have such a high mortality and the Tosai during the same time period were just awlful in terms of mortality. I long for the day when there are more people like Rain Garden or amateur breeders to get rare fish from, this is financially impossible long term. You basically have to buy fish breed them and then buy so more if they do not breed. :badidea:

20. suphi

suphi Ranchuist

That's why I think all imported goldfish should be treated indiscriminately during QT. Sorry you had bad experiences with them.