Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Proper Fish Quarantine Procedures

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by GoldfishAdmin, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

quarantine

Goldfish Herpes Virus will strike during spawning because of stress and temperature is right. It is probably parasite weakens and virus finishes the job or vice versa. Had a pond where fish were fine till they spawned. Killed the pond with draining and then chemical and let it sit for 6 months. Probably more than one thing going on with the fish.

2. aimeekat

aimeekat Active Member

Scared

Wow I am now scared to death to ever buy a new fish. I have been getting my last new fish from ken which everyone seems to trust but before I read the post I just recently purchased fish from goldfish auction (tommy) and i know for a fact he just got back from overseas with them last week when i adked he was honest about that but stated that who he buys from does quarentine ( i know better then to trust secondhand information) but I don't have the resources a lot of you do at least I can't get them very quickly. I do have 2 10 gal quarantine tanks but that sounds like from some of these postings to be not enough. My tanks i hsve are not full yet (2- 55 gal and 40 gal) should I get another tank and never put these new fish with my babies. I am in this for the love of my pets and am very attached if you say never add them to my existing tanks I will trust and give them their own world asap but also live these fish I would like to gave them in my bedroom tank ( love to watch my fish as I gobro sleep and wake up had become a great cure for my insomnia). There have been so many ideas on how to treat them I am confused, I am about to order some stuff from fishfarmacy I was going to buy oxilinic acid (seen alot on keepers talk about needing to give) , Nitrofuracin green (recommended by ken fisher) and de-los (recommended by fishfarmacy for a scratching fish I have). I also own coppersafe (fishfarmacy pharmacist said that coppersafe is pretty much useless for most things fish get nowdays), quick cure and super ick cure. Does that sound ok or should I add something to order or change something. So sad to hear my fish probably won't live to be as old as i thought they would I have lost one fish mysteriously a few months ago and was heartbroken sounds like I'm in for a lot of heartbreak:(
    it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

3. Ranchufan16

Ranchufan16 Ryukin & Veil Enthusiast

aimeekat,
    both of my imports, one from paul and one from ken were quarantined for 2 weeks in seperate tanks and now are with my other fish and are fine. My chochokin from paul is doing great and has been for about a month now and the calico ryukin has been in for a week and a half give or take and she is doing just fine as well. I would say that as long as you have taken the necessary precautions in medicating and treating for almost every known disease out there, you should be ok imo. I have read the other horror stories out there and I know that some people have had very bad luck with imports, but mine seem to be just fine. very healthy, very active and all around good fish. If they only last a couple of years then at least I got those couple of years of enjoyment out of them. My chochokin was bred at the social and I am going to pick up some of his fry this weekend, so he will live on through his young!

4. Ranchufan16

aimeekat,
    also, these guys are here (cincy ranchu, the truth etc) they really know what they are talking about, if you ever have any questions about which medications and such to use, pick their brain, they are VERY knowledgable and have probably seen almost everything that is out there! Just b/c I have had decent luck with my imports does not make my two cents sound, it could be a luck of the draw for me!

5. Ranchumaniax

Ranchumaniax Guest

Last time I talked to Dan that all my fish still alive and very lively. Less than a month later, I lost the whole tub! I and Fred agree that saying/comparing our fish still active and alive bring "Bad Luck". Now Fred is suffering....:exact:

Maybe just like in Koi world. You should point at the fish and said that is my Fav!
    It's bring "Bad Luck".

Paul

6. Ranchufan16

well I am not going to lie about how my fish are doing...people ask I am going to tell them. last thing I want to do is saying something awful about the fish I got from you Paul, thought I was paying you a compliment. I guess the minute he goes south I'll be sure to post.......

7. suphi

suphi Ranchuist

Except that in Koi world, a "good"one costs as much as a new car. Now that's extreme bad luck. >:)

8. suphi

suphi Ranchuist

Do post if it happens, because the sooner you start treating sick fish the better the outcome will be. Timing is important and ignorance will usually lead to fish loss.

9. Ranchufan16

certainly suphi, thanks! I have learned the most about proper treatment from you and I appreciate that!

10. sanggarra

sanggarra Fancier

That's funny in a dark way! :))

Imagine the fish died and you going to your wife saying " Dear... we just lost a new car...". I bet that goes well.

11. aqua

aqua Cute Goldfish

What I've noticed over the years is that there is no 100% fully assured disease-free quarantine procedure. It is still up to the goldfish body immune system to fightback. Having said that, it doesn't mean you should not quarantine, it's just that by doing so will reduce the likelihood and risk.

12. gillian

gillian Well-Known Member

procedure question

I am new to goldfish, so i have what might be a dumb question, but here goes anyway. say i buy two fish from vendor, but they're kept in separate tanks there - when they get to me, can i put them together right away? it would be a new tank and they would be the first occupants. i mean obviously yes if they send them in the same container.

and what if i get two from separate folks... am i over analyzing this?

13. LadysSolo

LadysSolo Breeder/keeper

No you are not overanalyzing. At the pet stores, you have to know how they filter - for example, at Pet Supplies Plus an entire bank of tanks is on one flitration system, so essentially they are all in the same tank (the water mixes.) So in that case, if they are in the same bank of tanks, you could put them together. If from separate tanks or sources, I woud keep them separate - they may have two different problems (or none at all if you are lucky.) Disease is no problem IF accurately identified AND you have an effective treatment, but I prefer not to infect uninfected fish. :cross_fingers: Carolyn

14. Corrie

Corrie professional fish sitter

Of course there is, don't be silly............

15. tlgtck

tlgtck Member

What countrıes have better condıtıons for Goldfıshes?
    ın terms of better condıtıons,safer,cleaner?
    Hong Kong,Sıngapor,Japan?

16. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

It is very difficult to generalize. It will depend on the individual who you dealing with.

17. tlgtck

tlgtck Member

Thanks.

Can you tell me relıable breeders from Hong Kong-Sıngapore,Chına?
    My second questıon ıs

How can I dısınfect the fıshes?
    Can ı use Sera Ectopur? (German Brand)?
    Can I use permasol + salt? ıs Permasol dangerous?
    Whıch medıcıne ıs best for dısınfectant? How can I clean the fıshes? Whats the best method?
    Is disinfectant necessary?

18. goldfishntn

goldfishntn Well-Known Member

Since I've gotten more serious about Orandas, I've read this thread with great interest. I don't keep a pond outside, but a 29 gal inside. I'm not a breeder, just a man who loves Orandas. I have one now and want to add another from DO later. I made a stupid mistake and added a garra to a perfect and sterile tank from a local LFS. Good store but still a wingnut move without some form of qt. Hopefully it'll be ok.
    But I have a question; to you premedicate a tank? Just in case ich, or some other disease, gets in your tank?
    And, I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep some form of treatment on hand, on the ready just in case. Although I'm not sure what's the best ich/disease treatment.
    Thanks.

19. Billy

Billy Breeder

Quarantine is vital as you grow your fish collection. I normally will treat new fish for external parasites like lch and I have used various brands over the years. Unfortunately, you may have to experiment with brands because what worked in the past may not work in the present. Ich, like most disease organisms, can evolve over time to tolerate certain medications. I recently had an Ich outbreak and used IchX. I had previously used this medication with great success in the past. This time it was completely ineffective. The infection was finally eradicated by using Defend a broad spectrum pond grade med in conjunction with a UV sterilizer. I usually treat for all external parasites for all newly acquired fish if purchased from a wholesaler or LFS. The only time I may skip treatment is if I have acquired fish from a trusted hobbyist breeder which has already taken the precautions.

20. Billy

Billy Breeder

To answer the previous question better, treatment should last for 7-10 days and quarantine fish for 2-3 weeks minimum; 3-4 weeks is preferred to ensure fish are truly clean before placing with others in your collection. I prefer to use mostly pond grade medications due to the number of fish in my collection. I suggest Quick Cure by Aquarium Solutions for Ich and Prazi by Hikari USA for flukes and fish lice. Hope this helps. Having a UV sterilizer for the quarantine process will help to ensure success and can be used in conjunction to treatments. In you case, just treat the tank that the fish are in since you already introduced the fish if you see signs of scratching or white spots.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014