Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Proper pump to be used on a skippy

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Pondsailor, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Pondsailor

Pondsailor Active Member

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building my pond but have a question concerning a skippy filter. I have an extra 300 gallon Rubbermaid that I would like to use as the skippy but was wondering if there is a max water flow just like on a S&G filter does? I have an ES5500 pump and another pump that is 4500gph. Would either of these be too much flow to use directly to the skippy? One of the pumps I will be using to "T" off into two S&G filters. My pond will be nearly 5000 gals. I know the skippy is alittle large for the pond size but I can't see where too much filtration is bad.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Those pumps should be fine. Water flows easily through a skippy.

3. Pondsailor

Pondsailor Active Member

Thanks....that's great. My plans can continue to move forward. Next question, would you run the skimmer to the skippy or the BD and the other to the S&G? The S&G will have a MB before it.

4. DieselPlower

DieselPlower Banned

Just keep in mind you will have to have multiple large outlets on the Skippy to accommodate that kind of flow, otherwise you will overflow it.

5. Pondsailor

Pondsailor Active Member

Oooh....didn't think of that. What would you recommend and/or suggest?

6. DieselPlower

DieselPlower Banned

I am no filter guru but it seems like 4" toilet flanges would be a good start. Or, there is a guy named "mark koiguy castleberry" active on forums and facebook who makes waterfall weirs you could attach. I really don't know how many flanges or what size weir you would need.

7. Pondsailor

Pondsailor Active Member

Thanks for the info. Was wondering on size flanges but didn't think of a weir. I can place a nice size weir which would be more to my liking instead of a flange.

8. Mark 1959

Mark 1959 Active Member

You can always add a ball valve to balance out the inflow with the outflow, I would rather have too much flow and be able to tone it down with a ball valve than wish I had more pump