Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

QT Procedure Advice

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Silverphish, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Silverphish

Silverphish Active Member

I will soon be getting another goldfish and want to be sure my QT procedure is spot on. I have never added a new fish into an existing tank, I've just gotten multiples for each new tank and treated them all at once.

This is the set up so far for the QT:
    upload_2016-1-26_13-29-17.jpeg

The bio-media are from the established filter, once I get the new fish, I will be adding one whole established filter (Fluvial EX 20 with the rest of the bio-media from the tank the fish will eventually join). The water is half fresh half from the established tank. Other than temperature, all values are reading normal on API liquid test kit. This is a 20 gal tank.

My plan is to get the new fish (a small oranda >1 inch in length), do two to three rounds of prazi, and keep in the QT tank for 45-60 days. I would do 25%-50% water changes weekly when I change the big tank, and 100% change one a month. I test all my water weekly, before I change the water (so I know how much to change). Is there anything else I should do or anything I need before I get the fish.

2. Silverphish

Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong section :)

3. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

Since your QT tank is fresh and parasite-free, you might want to consider "dipping" your new fish before infecting the new QT tank set up. A good dip would be a 10% peroxide dip. Use the standard brown bottle peroxide from the drug store and dilute 1 part peroxide to 9 parts water in a small bowl. You don't need a lot, just enough volume to dip the fish with a net. You only keep the fish in the dip for 10 seconds, then you can move to the QT tank. The dip will cause the slime coat to foam up, but don't worry, this is very temporary and the fish will be fine. The peroxide will kill any flukes and pretty much any other surface parasites. I think Prazi is good when the tank is already fluke infested, since it will kill the circulating flukes, but in this case, you can safely dip the fish and know that the QT tank is clean. The 45-60 day observation period is probably a good idea.

Gold Digger, CaliGold and *Ci* like this.
  4. Silverphish

Update:
    Got my first oranda, it's all set up in the QT and doing ok (spent all day yesterday sitting on the bottom. Much more active today, ate a little. But still bottom sits after eating for about 10 min, I'm not sure what that means...) Just have a quick question,

Once I start the prazi, how do I do water changes? I'd like to vacuum the waste off the bottom daily, but that will decrees the concentration of the prazi. So do I add in what I take out each day, or just re-dose every seven days like the bottle suggests? I usually do a 50% water change weekly for the regular tank and a 100% change and rinse/clean the filters once a month, but feel like I should do it more often in the QT.

gillian likes this.
  5. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

Good question I always wondered this question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I just have a 5 gallon bucket of water with prazi and use this in water changes.

10% daily water changes are basically equivalent to 50% weekly changes. I prefer the small daily changes that maintain steady state water chemistry. Fish don't like changes.

Joshua's golds likes this.
  7. Silverphish

Thanks shakaho, she's doing much better already and I really want to make sure she stays on the full concentration of prazi and gets good stable water parameters. She was very lethargic for about 24 hours after getting her home. I think it was just adjusting to my water pH and stuff. I tried the drip method, just using an air stone line and a clamp but I think it might have still been too fast of a change and a lot of transport stress. I got her from my old LFS, so it was a 2.5 - 3 hour drive home. I had her in a bait transport bucket with an air stone and prime, filled it from the fish shop before we left.

8. Amy S

Amy S Professional Breeder

Actually, sorry to disagree, but small water changes are NOT the same as large ones. Small changes merely dilute toxins and ammonia/ etc and large changes removes it. Think of a glass filled with urine, remove 10% and consider it palatable or remove 80%? Even 10% every day means you are removing part old water and part new......
    for most goldfish, large water changes are not only a necessity, but very stimulating.

CaliGold, Virginia ranchu and csoth1 like this.
  9. Silverphish

I usually do 50-75% change in QT and rinse filter media every other week. I was mainly concerned with removing the prazi before it had time to do its thing. When I treated the 40 gal, I had low enough stocking and high enough filterage that I only did a 100% change every 7 days, which was perfect, but this fish is in a 20gal with only 1 filter rated for 20 gal. I feel like this is "over stocked" because of the filter capacity. The 40 gal has two filters, one rated for 20 gal, the other rated for 75 gal

10. fantail1

fantail1 Professional Breeder

Smaller water changes can be fine if there is a biological filter removing ammonia and nitrite. Then the water changes are not to remove these toxins. The problem with the QT tank is that it has no biological filtration - the bacteria on the media will die off if there is no food supply and without a fish producing ammonia (or another source of ammonia) there is nothing for the bacteria to feed on. Whether it is sufficient to simply put the media on the floor of the tank and allowing normal water movement to ensure all the ammonia flows over the bacteria I am not sure

11. shakaho

In the first post, she indicated she was using a cycled filter in the QT.

In her most recent post, she confirmed that she still has the filter going.

The purpose of her water changes during prazi treatment was to remove solid waste.

Silverphish likes this.
  12. shakaho

I just have a 5 gallon bucket dosed with prazi ready to replace water removed from the tank.

Joshua's golds likes this.