Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Quarantining

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by MikeM, Feb 26, 2017.

1. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

I got a couple of fish from a breeder about three weeks ago. I do not notice any issues with them. I know there are some on the forum that will say not to medicate unless you see a problem. However, just because ya don't see something doesn't mean it isn't there. So I guess I'm looking for a general consensus. Do I use a broad treatment as a precaution or wait till something presents itself?

2. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

I would place them in a separate tank and monitor them. Usually, if the fish is sick or carrying something, the stress of the transport and the new environment will cause an outward manufestation of symptom. This is when you will treat.

But I also use a safe med like prazi-pro to clean their insides anyway since the Med is very safe and effective.

3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Prazi will kill off most of their flukes, which is worth doing during quarantine.

4. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

That sounds great, thanks

5. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

That sounds great, thanks

6. Totallyvictorian

Totallyvictorian Active Member

I was just told that Fluke M is just as effective as Prazi..and safe for Goldfish. You might like to look into it.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I have often stated here that I am not a big fan of medicating fish either in quarantine or in established tanks unless I know what I am dealing with. I understand those that differ. Part of my rationale is if the fish is already stressed from shipping, why further stress it with medications, and, I am a believer in that fish carry "healthy levels of pathogens" in their systems and it is usually poor water quality or other environmental conditions that cause these naturally occurring healthy levels of pathogens that reside in the fish, to start multiply and thus compromise the health of our fish. I am really interested in what others say

8. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

I'm not a fan of medicating either, in fact I have no meds at all and haven't needed any, fortunately. Is there a rule of thumb for the length of quarantine time? I hear varying answers. Mine have gone almost three weeks and im planning on at least three more.

9. PHorst

PHorst Active Member

For me, it depends on where the fish are from. From a breeder, or a trusted source, I quarantine and monitor the new fish. On the rare occasions I buy a fish from a retail store, I quarantine and medicate. I generally do a couple of rounds of Prazi and a couple of rounds of Metro for those fish.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I would quarantine minimal of 30 days, with 60 days being ideal

11. Goldfishnewbie

Goldfishnewbie Active Member

Do we need cycled bio media in the qt tank ? What if I don’t have extra from main tan to share in the qt tank ?

12. Zanana

Zanana Member

Several opinions on this- For new fish, some people say avoid sharing media from your established fishtank- if your current fish has a mild bug they are suppressing/resistant to, the possibly immunocompromised/intolerant new fish may be affected. So you can do fishless cycle with clean equipment before acquiring new fish but this obviously needs preplanning. Even if you can’t complete a full cycle in time, a partial is better than none. Or you could do fish-in cycle with new fish, by closely monitoring water parameters and daily water changes. This is safe- and is the method recommended by East Coast Ranchu- as long as water conditions match, and you’re up for daily large water changes.

13. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Do large daily water changes in your quarantine tank. Use Seachem Prime to protect your fish from low levels of ammonia/nitrite. Check daily for ammonia and nitrite before the water change to make sure your water change is large enough.

14. Hunter

Hunter Active Member

I don't medicate unless at least one has symptoms, I personally just quarentine did a pair of oranda with my danios(or demons I can't get rid of, and were supposed to be gone) I only watched for a week and I'm very careful to observe them when I'm near the main tank now so far all I can tell is they too skinny!!!

15. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Under no circumstances is a week of observation considered a quarantine. This isn't long enough for most issues to crop up. I had a fish from wally-world. He was almost two weeks into quarantine when suddenly I woke up one morning and he had the ich. White spots. Had I waited only a week, an ich outbreak would have gotten my entire stock. This fish looked totally healthy up until then.

16. Hunter

Hunter Active Member

Well Calicomj I had seen these specific fish multiple times in store over a week or two, know that the tanks are kept well. As well as had them for a week in a short "quarantine" with a pair of Zebra Danios (Who were supposed to be picked up by someone who never showed and were thus restrained in a breeding box for a week) and have been perfectly fine for a week now in my main tank. This however was my first experience buying fish that required any form of quarantine, normally I buy all at once from the same location. I definitely intend to go longer next time which won't be for awhile unless I can rid myself of these demons (danios, and yes they are demons they killed off a entire tropical community).

17. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I was not taking a shot at you. Apologies if it seemed that way. I'm just trying strongly discourage only a week of quarantine for anybody that reads. One week isn't enough and I don't want beginners to think it is.

18. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I QT for four weeks, then two rounds of PraziPro. I will QT longer and medicate if needed, otherwise after six weeks, they move in with the rest of the fish.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

19. nygold

nygold Well-Known Member

I QT for 7 days, I'll treat for internal diseases and only treat longer or treat for external issues if I see something.
    (Chinese yellow powder) most people can't get it BUT you can use Bifuran.